breeding peacocks.. 10 gal enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have two jacob or jack? peacocks and i was gonna try to have them breed but my 55gal has 10 other male africans.. and since all 12 have been together the aggression has gone up a bit so i wanted to remove 2 or 3 to keep things calm.

could / would the two peacocks breed if i kept them in a 10 gal by themselves or possibly with one other male? :fish1: :fish2:

i dig the peacocks and would hate to give them away after spending money on them. :(

my male auratas, however, i could kinda care less about lol & wouldnt mind booting to make my others happier :D

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED :dance:

Still not large enough IMO. Even for two assuming they are adult, breeding sized fish.

First things first a 20 is not recommended for just about any cichlid but when it comes down to it this is ur tank in ur home bought with ur money so it all comes down to how u would like to do it..that being Sed I do have a friend that has been successfully breeding peacocks and labs in 20 longs for some time now (separate tanks obviously) and he hasn't had a problem but once again it is not recommended just letting u kno it can work

i must say, 11 males and one female = the female is a gonner and your tank will have some VERY bad domination issues.
if u go all male it will take a while to settle but it will look good. any females added in have to be of equal amount to the males in ratio or more females than males, which is preferred. in other words, they arent going to breed unless you are super lucky and the female will probably die.

im sorry to be harsh but this set up is very dangerous for the female, especially when they get bigger and ALL want to spawn :( x

yeah i'm def gonna get rid of the male & female jacs & my auratus to help calm things down. i didnt have any issues when it was just 10 males so i'm gonna go back to that.

& i appreciate the help so no worries on being harsh.. ive been into aquariums for a while now but i'm still a newb considering how much there is to know lol

thats alright, its just great that u care so much that u want what is best, now what looks best :)
and yeah, auratus are mean little fish ha. if grounded mine for 3 days cos it tried to kill my RZ.

i know!! mum said we could get a dog that was the size of a puppy (v small terrier) and was serious, i said no way. i want a 150 gallon in the livingroom :) so why did she favour the dog?? she doesnt even like dogs.

she clearly is not one of us haha!
im training my oscars to hand feed, jump and now im teaching them to put up with a small spine stroke and then a pellet is given. makes them more tame :) ahaaa x

thats siiiick!! i miss my oscar but since we only have room for one big tank right now i figured id do africans instead cuz theyre really pretty & dont cause my other fish to hide all day, like my oscar did lol he went to a good dude w/ a 150 gal & 1 other oscar though so im sure hes happy :)

Back
Top Bottom