Breeding Platies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowafishguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey i just got five platies. I am wanting to try to breed them. I have 2 males and 3 females. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or know how the best way to get them to breed is. They are in a 55 gallon community tank. I have a birthing container when the time comes. I was also wondering if there is any good way to tell if they are pregnant?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111101_155535.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111101_155535.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 70
Platies are very easy to breed. They get very big like they are about to explode and then you have babies! Sometimes you can see the fries eyes inside the mom before she has them.

My number of platies literally doubles every month. Just provide lots of hiding places for the babies and it will be all good.

Ok thank you i put a few fake plants and some small caves made from rocks for them to hide it. Another question i was wondering was if the.different types of platies can cross breed?

iowafishguy said:
Ok thank you i put a few fake plants and some small caves made from rocks for them to hide it. Another question i was wondering was if the.different types of platies can cross breed?

Oh yeah they can and they will! You would get strange combinations and normal ones mixed in!

Platys are easy to breed. Just leave them be in your tank and they'll breed on their own. If you want to keep the fry, I suggest moving Gravid females into a breeding net or container or they'll be eaten by the parents and other tank mates.

Yup easy peasy. In fact I had 2 platys and went Friday to get another female. The new one had babies Sunday. She had 24 I accidentally left her in the breeding tank 4 baby fish too many. And 2 were stillborn. 4 days old and 18 are still doing well.

Back
Top Bottom