breeding red cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schocker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a few RCS in a tank with 2 panda corys and 5 rasboras. I just noticed one is quite pregnant, which I am pumped about. I want to make sure a good portion survive. I am not concerned about the rasboras, but worried that the corys might feast on them. Anyone out there have any experience breeding RCS with corys? I am thinking of moving the corys to my shrimp free tank. Any thoughts?

The cories will be fine with them. The rasboras are a greater threat to the young, but given adequate cover, they should be fine.

The rasboras will munch on the shrimplettes. If you have moss in there, you stand a better chance of the babies surviving.

I would move the rasboras into the other tank as well as the corys if you have the room.

Eventually you'll have tons of shrimp. I started with 25 two years ago, I lost count this year. :)

The rasboras will munch on the shrimplettes. If you have moss in there, you stand a better chance of the babies surviving.

I would move the rasboras into the other tank as well as the corys if you have the room.

Eventually you'll have tons of shrimp. I started with 25 two years ago, I lost count this year. :)

I've been looking for some java moss with no luck so far. Keep looking. I have a few plants in the tank, but mostly broad leafed. I do have some micro grass which might offer some protection.

Couple of questions:

1. what is the gestation period for the eggs?
2. how big are the babies when hatched?

Most of mine have been just over 30 days. They are tiny when born. I have cholla wood with java moss tied to it. They hide out and breed in it. I started with 6 and now have well over 100 and that's in three months time. I need to get rid of some shortly. They are in with ember tetras and galaxy rasboras. I'm sure a couple don't make it but really enough do to keep the numbers going.

Back
Top Bottom