Breeding swordtail x platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a female panda platy which is one of my friends favorite fish, I would like to x breed her with my swordtail, but it seems like there is no interest in her,

Dont worry I won't give them to a shop, or sell them without people knowing they are x bred even though majority are anyway,

This is more for personal and friends benefits.

I have 2 female swords aswell which do get pregnant frequently anyway to help it go for the palty?

Why do you want an x breed? In fish they tend to be unable to breed and sometimes deformed.
Why not buy more panda platys?

A cross breed between a swordtail and a platy are perfectly fine, majority of swordtails sold these days a crossed with platys anyway, they give birth normally and are fertile.

This I think is due to being both from the same xiphophorus gene, there is nothing wrong with a cross breed of these 2, it just when added to the rest of the community, there are less likely to be a pure swordtail

Try raising the temperture at little but dont go any higher then 78 degrees fahrenheit also are you sure they havent eaten the babies as swordtails need to be keep in a net like material in a tank so the babies can swim out straight away because swordtails love eating there babies and will hunt them down otherwise even if well feed you can plant plants but that will only make 10% or so survive

Back
Top Bottom