Breeding Tropical Fish Outdoors 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guppies

Sorry it took me long to reply but I am putting guppies as I have kept them before and they seem to be pretty hardy:fish1:

Added 7 cherry barbs and 1 giant danio to the empty tub. I was supposed to get 8 barbs, but I didn't realize the danio was in there until it was too late.

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

There have been two batches of fry in the guppy tub. One had only a few survivors, and the other batch was quite large, with most surviving.

I decided to ditch the tiger barbs. I put all of my guppy fry that were inside in the tub the barbs were supposed to do in.I will probably empty in 1-2 months, sell most of them, and start the process over with new fry, or put the best ones back in there and let them breed.

The warm weather has caused the plants to really take over. The baby plants are now making babies, so I will be overrun soon.

Fishobsessed7

I noticed a larger Molly fry hiding amongst the roots of the water hyacinth today, so I have to tubs that have fry for sure.

Fishobsessed7

I ordered some stem plants that should be here in about a week. Hopefully they survive the 3 digit temps!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I planted all the plants in some pots, and the fish seem to enjoy the additional cover

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while!

The guppies have been breeding like crazy! There is fry everywhere! It's amazing how much color improves when they are kept outdoors. I have a male that was a pale blue/green that now has intense pinks!

The mollies/swordtail have had a few batches, but most fry have been eaten. :(

Zebra danios/cherry barbs haven't laid eggs that I've noticed.

Same goes for the white clouds.

The guppy fry that I put in the trash can look really nice! I need to catch them so I can sell them!

I also put out a 17 gallon rope tote with a trio of guppies. The females don't look large, but I haven't checked in a while.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I also have a 150 gallon tub that I might setup but I'm not to sure on that. I may just wait till next year.

I've also added airation to the tubs. The fish seem to like it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Yesterday I drained the hex a moved all of the white clouds to a 150 gallon tub that I recently set up. The hex was just too hot for them, so they should do better. Their were also a few that looked like they had some eggs but I'm not sure.

I also plan to move the guppies in the 17 gallon rope tote to the 150. Although I don't want to drain it because there are fry in there that I worry will get siphoned out and die. So I will have to hope I can catch them!

Fishobsessed7

You can make some DIY bottle traps out of water bottles, 2 liter bottles, etc. Cut where the neck meets the bottle (right above the label), and push the two pieces together so the cap end funnels fish into the bottle.
Sorry if this seemed to wordy just wanted to make sure you knew what i was talking about.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well the guppies like there new larger home!

The water has already started turning green.

Fishobsessed7

So far everything is doing well!

Fishobsessed7

I brought everything in over the past two days, and here is the results:

Mollies: 3 Fry and the original adults
Swordtails: original adults and 10-15 fry
Platies: original adults and 10-15 fry
Guppies: original adults, about thirty new adults, and about 40-50 young fry
Danios: original adults
Cherry barbs: only one adult
White clouds: original adults
Trash can guppies: the fry grew up and had about 15-20 of their own
Guppies with white clouds: original adults, and about 10 fry

So really not a whole lot but this was my first year doing this. I'm already making my plans for next year, and I am going to start getting the fish/plants accumulated. I will sell most of these off, keeping only the best fish for myself. I know there were a lot more fry, but most got eaten. I'll see if I can get some pics posted.

I brought everything in because of a cold snap. It really got to the cherry barbs and guppy fry. I would have brought everything in a week earlier their would have been a lot more of each.

Fishobsessed7

This is very interesting to me. My mom did kiddie pools one year and no fry survived.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom