Brine shrimp hatchery...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SAAVE853

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking into putting one of these in my sump, just wondering what everyone thinks.....

My reasoning behind this is it will be a great way to keep my fish fed as long as I supplementing with some good flake.

Continuous Hatch 'N Feeder

What kind of fish are you trying to feed? Adult brine shrimp aren't very nutritious from what I've read. Newborn shrimp with some of its egg sack still attached is good as food.

SAAVE853 said:
I am looking into putting one of these in my sump, just wondering what everyone thinks.....

My reasoning behind this is it will be a great way to keep my fish fed as long as I supplementing with some good flake.

Continuous Hatch 'N Feeder

I bought one of these for one of my fry tanks a while back and. Ended up throwing it out after a week. It did not work for me at all. Some bbs did find there way into the tank, but most of them got stuck in the hatchery's main chamber. It still worked s a hatchery but was harder to maintain than your standard 2liter bottle hatchery.

trackfast said:
What kind of fish are you trying to feed? Adult brine shrimp aren't very nutritious from what I've read. Newborn shrimp with some of its egg sack still attached is good as food.

The hatchery in question is actually meant to keep a steady supply of baby brine shrimp in the tank, not adults. Although you are correct about adult brine shrimp being quite a bit less nutritious.

I used it as well, not something you want in your tank since it doesn't have the greatest design and eggshells and eggs themselves will find their way into the tank, and very few shrimp will find their way into the tank.

I eventually ended up doing a little experiment with a 3g Eclipse from Marineland that I had laying around. I used a small 25w heater to keep it at the recommended temperature (78-80 I think?) and a few airstones from a small pump with an in-line air control to keep the water moving a bit and keep the water oxygenated. Worked pretty good minus the fact that getting the hatched shells out was a pain.

Last edited:
Yeah I had thought of putting it in my sump and letting it do it's thing....but sounds like no one had has good experiences with these.

Back
Top Bottom