bristle worm identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can you tell me what kind of bristle worm this is? Is it bad? I heard about the only really terrible worm is the "Eunicid" - and I hope this isn't it!

Attachments

• aquarium bristle worm 008.jpg
    aquarium bristle worm 008.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 115
  • aquarium bristle worm 009.jpg
    aquarium bristle worm 009.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 150
  • aquarium bristle worm 011.jpg
    aquarium bristle worm 011.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 88
  • aquarium bristle worm 013.jpg
    aquarium bristle worm 013.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 88
more pics for bristle worm

Here are some more pics... Reason I think it may be the "Eunicid" is because from what I read they are the ones that "snap back" into the rock lightning fast - just like this one.

Attachments

• aquarium bristle worm 014.jpg
    aquarium bristle worm 014.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 94
  • aquarium bristle worm 015.jpg
    aquarium bristle worm 015.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 157
  • aquarium bristle worm 020.jpg
    aquarium bristle worm 020.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 272
You are right, it appears to be an Eunicid. While they are this small, they don't pose much of a threat but should be watched closely due to thier preditory nature. You could try feeding it but most people would just remove it and be done with it. Shame since they are really colorful and interesting worms.

I found one of those 2 nights ago too. So what is the verdict keep it or remove it? Is fire worm different than eunicid?

i'm inclined to say take it out -- but I can't think of a way to do that other than remove the whole LR.

The only way I know of to remove them is to take the rock out. I've had luck removing unwanted critters by using soda water/salt mix. The carbon bubbles irritate them and make them want to evacuate. But a fw dip or a hyper salinity dip may work as well. It won't be easy but diligence is key. Trapping them by normal means (bottle traps) won't work. One idea would be a loaded bristleworm trap. I've never heard of anyone catching them that way but I suppose that may work. Or maybe loading some meaty foods inside a piece of nylon stocking that it could get tangled into. Good luck.
And ryshark, they are quite different from fire worms. Both are reallly interesting critters and it's a shame they can do damage and have to be removed but such is thier lot in the home aquaria.

Thats what I am thinking, its worth a shot because figuring out exactly what rock it is in and taking it out would be a mess. One thing I do know is that it is in one of the bottom rocks, of course.

well i know exactly what rock it's in... just look at the pic - I see him coming out of the hole. When I get home I'm going to quarentee this rock... then do fresh water dip and see if I can get him out and then put rock back in.

Thanks for the help and I will let you know how it goes. One thing is he doesn't seem to be bothering anyone so part of me wants to keep him... but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry!

Back
Top Bottom