Bristlenose pleco swimming to surface and straight back down.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ungmon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've recently converted my 70 liter tank from a fairly 'artificial' one (with a few artificial decorations etc.) to a more 'natural' one, with the addition of some Malaysian driftwood (boiled prior to putting it in the tank), a new substrate (rinsed thoroughly) and a couple of Amazon Swords.

Since then, I've noticed my one and only fish, a rather small female bristlenose pleco, has started occasionally 'blowing' a bubble or two and quickly darting to the surface before racing back down to the bottom of the tank.

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all at 0ppm (checked twice over two days) and pH is about 7.4. My tank has plenty of surface agitation thanks to an Aquaclear 70 and an airstone.

The only thing I can think if is the Seachem Flourish, Excel and Iron I've been adding for the plants but, the erratic behavior had began about 2 days before I starting dosing, go figure!

Here is a video of what I'm talking about

Which begs the question, is this king of Pleco behavior normal, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you all in advance.

Thank-you! �� Long time browser, first time poster. I'm keeping the temperature at around 24-25 degrees Celsius.

All sounds good for a revamped tank, might be just all a bit new in tank and still settling down. I assume it was a pretty major change? No cloudy water from a bacterial bloom or anything and bn catfish feeding ok?

O2 should be fine, so water chemistry is all I can think of. If it persists and the filter allowed, I'd try some fresh carbon.

while I can't tell you exactly why/what is going on, I have seen that same thing before with plecos and it never seemed to be due to any problems.
so while it is odd, it's not completely unusual.

Back
Top Bottom