Bristlenose plecos breeding!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that sucks:( but maybe just buy 3........you have good odds of getting at least 1 pair out of them

L144 are the plecos which ARE NOT albino.....they are golden in color and have a diff. scale pattern

they can be cross bred with "normal BNs".....as i have an albino female/male L144 pair which produces normal BNs, albinos, L144, and i found 3 calico

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ohh cool.. Well they were really small anyways, i guess i will try later

Try a different pet store. Sometimes LFS managers might know. Or a biology/marinebiology teacher might know

Fishboss, That's great that some seller on AB has wild ancistrus sp. that are 9 inches. You aren't going to be able to just waltz in to the vast majority of LFSs out there and buy an ancistrus that is going to grow that large. That is what the thread was about, so I mentioned that they were not going to grow that large. I shouldn't have made a blanket statement about the entire genus, obviously, but for what you are going to find in the vast majority of pet stores I stand by it.

Just to make sure this is what species we are referring too
Bristlenose does NOT refer to a species. It is a common name for fish in the genus Ancistrus. There are many species in the genus Ancistrus. Some are undescribed so they are only identified by L numbers or LDA numbers.

Yes but I was always referring to the species. What I meant was if it's called a Bristol nose, is L144 the specific pleco the op is referring too. Also I think your argument wasnt meant specifically twords me.
No. A bristol nose is a bad misspelling of the common name bristlenose. It does NOT in any way, shape, or form refer to an individual species. Once again, the term bristlenose, or any misspelling thereof, refers to fish in the genus Ancistrus.

The OP has not mentioned an L144 at all in this thread.

Last edited:
severum mama said:
Fishboss, That's great that some seller on AB has wild ancistrus sp. that are 9 inches. You aren't going to be able to just waltz in to the vast majority of LFSs out there and buy an ancistrus that is going to grow that large. That is what the thread was about, so I mentioned that they were not going to grow that large. I shouldn't have made a blanket statement about the entire genus, obviously, but for what you are going to find in the vast majority of pet stores I stand by it.

Bristlenose does NOT refer to a species. It is a common name for fish in the genus Ancistrus. There are many species in the genus Ancistrus. Some are undescribed so they are only identified by L numbers or LDA numbers.

No. A bristol nose is a bad misspelling of the common name bristlenose. It does NOT in any way, shape, or form refer to an individual species. Once again, the term bristlenose, or any misspelling thereof, refers to fish in the genus Ancistrus.

Some one else did. And thanx I was confused. Also me misspelling bristlenose I was still referring to the same thing btw

no offense taken or given;)
well, most of the LFS here(3) carry a few of the giant ones.................................my fav. LFS gets 6-8 wild ones a year at $50 each and 2-3 F1s from giant wild parents in monthly at $20 each......;)

but they have over 30 diff. types of plecos;)

Back
Top Bottom