Brittle Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msuburg

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I recently purchased some Mushroom coral for my tank, and the rock it came on seemed to be home to a few things. One of the first I noticed is what appears to be a brittle star, a little guy. From end of one arm to the opposite end of the other arm....maybe about 1 1/2 or 2 inches. The arms seem to be alternating black and gray color. Are they reef safe? Or is it going to eventually start to damage my LR or soft corals?

Thanks!

-Matt

No, should be fine. In fact the small ones should multiply and help with sand sifting. I have several that came on my LR, they bother no one.
Consider it a bonus.

I have a Green Brittle Star. They do eat meat.......and although I have kept mine well fed he still ate one of my Peppermint shrimp. I would not have believed it but I actually saw hime snatch the shrimp and pounce on it. Brittle stars are extremely fast when they eat. They can scoot around pretty quickly.

Mine (if measured from leg to leg) would be almost 10 inches. I have rescued fish from him before, he would be chasing them down...LOL. Most of the time the other tank mates get away because they are faster, but slow moving fish are and will be prone to being dinner for this guy when he attains a measurable size.

Not trying to scare you away from having one because they are beautiful specimens, but just trying to inform you on the other aspects of keeping these guys. Now this is just my expeirence and may not be the same for others.

Mike

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, good to know. I'll make sure I keep an eye on him!

have a great day

-Matt

Back
Top Bottom