Brooklyn Girl's Cycling Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brooklyn girl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys!

I am almost close to cycling the tank... I think. there are a few things I'm uncertain off. just a few minutes ago, my water testing values are :

ammonia 0.6
ph 7.5
nitrite 3.3
nitrates 110

i added 1ml ammonia last evening. the ammonia level is still the same 0.6. what is the nitrites and nitrates levels are off the charts next time i check the levels? should i keep adding ammonia? i have come so close, I just don't want to do anything to stall the cycling process. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi guys!

I am almost close to cycling the tank... I think. there are a few things I'm uncertain off. just a few minutes ago, my water testing values are :

ammonia 0.6
ph 7.5
nitrite 3.3
nitrates 110

i added 1ml ammonia last evening. the ammonia level is still the same 0.6. what is the nitrites and nitrates levels are off the charts next time i check the levels? should i keep adding ammonia? i have come so close, I just don't want to do anything to stall the cycling process. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Brooklyn! Ok, just so we are all on the same pg, have you been dosing to 4ppm ammonia? Has it been steadily dropping to zero daily? Have your nitrites been dropping as well while your nitrates are increasing? I am not sure where you are in your cycle right now- some more info will help! :)

Hey.

well when i first started the fishless cycling, I added enough ammonia to reach 5ppm. then it slowly started decreasing to 2.4 so i added more ammonia to bring the level back up to 5ppm. i did that 5 or 6 times until my nitrites read 0.3 which took a really long time. then on this forum a while ago, i was advised to "wait and add ammonia when level reaches 1ppm. so then ammonia dropped down to 0.6 and the nitrites increased to 3.3 and nitrates to 110, the pH has always been 7.5. i added more ammonia in yesterday evening and the levels read 0.6.

what if the nitrites and nitrates levels are off the charts next time i check the levels? should i keep adding ammonia? i have come so close, I just don't want to do anything to stall the cycling process. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi again Brooklyn! It sounds like your doing fine! Honestly, if your nitrites are high tomorrow, just skip the ammonia & let us know how things look in 24hrs. Your nitrates (with an 'a') should be really high and this is nothing to worry about because they will be addressed at the end of your cycle. We want to see them continue to climb while your nitrites (with an 'i') continue to steadily drop! :)

ok, so I checked the water levels today.

Ammonia 0.6
pH 7.5
nitrites 3.3
nitrates off the chart (over 110)

so i should skip the ammonia?

ok good, i had skipped the ammonia dose last evening. Today's levels are the same as yesterdays.

ammonia 0.6
nitrites 3.3
ph 7.5

how long does it usually take the nitrites and ammonia to drop to 0 in this phase of the cycle?

thanks.

ok good, i had skipped the ammonia dose last evening. Today's levels are the same as yesterdays.

ammonia 0.6
nitrites 3.3
ph 7.5

how long does it usually take the nitrites and ammonia to drop to 0 in this phase of the cycle?

thanks.

How long have you had nitrites? The nitrite phase is the longest, it can take 2-4 weeks for them to drop (3 on average; mine took about 2.5). Your nitrates are rising and that's good! You can dose again tonight;don't be discouraged if nitrites shoot up again though, it's normal :)

Reactions: jlk
Back
Top Bottom