Brown algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DD7687

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my new tank set up for about three weeks now. Over the last week what looks like brown algae has started to grow and crept across the sand substrate. I'm not positive if it is actually algae or what I should do about it for that matter! Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397048945.709371.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397048954.201689.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397048966.078403.jpg

It's just diatoms, fairly common in newly setup tanks, it will go away in time..

Anytime!! Your tank looks great by the way... Dig the natural look, I used pool filter sand in one if my tanks too, it's great! Way easy to maintain..

Thanks! Yeah the sand is great and cleans up nice.

Diatoms are self limiting and will go away on their own once the excess silicates in the water are used up. Since it appears you don't have real plants you can use a phosphates remover, which also removes silicates, for a few weeks.

Common in new tanks, it's diatoms. as everybody told you, it will stop when sillicates/phosphates will be gone.

Keep on water change, it may help.

Diatoms are self limiting and will go away on their own once the excess silicates in the water are used up. Since it appears you don't have real plants you can use a phosphates remover, which also removes silicates, for a few weeks.

All the plants in the tank are real. I assume this means an additive is not needed?

I got some cory fish and the otocinclus that have did wonders

I have a newer tank and had diatoms (though the yellow kind). Yes they will go away on their own but also feed lightly, frequent water changes and not leaving the lights on for long will control things until the silicates is gone. I only have the lights on 6 hours. I did this to my tank and it's not spread and seems to be going away.

I have a newer tank and had diatoms (though the yellow kind). Yes they will go away on their own but also feed lightly, frequent water changes and not leaving the lights on for long will control things until the silicates is gone. I only have the lights on 6 hours. I did this to my tank and it's not spread and seems to be going away.

It depends on the light strengh, when I started my tank, initially I could'nt run my light more than 6 hrs/day, or the water became green and tank covered by multiple brands of algaes...

All the plants in the tank are real. I assume this means an additive is not needed?

I personally would not use a phosphate remover in a planted tank but it can be done for maybe a week or so to help get a lot of the silicates removed BUT then after a week I would remove it and not use it again. Running lights only 6 hours a day until the diatom phase is over helps a lot. That is what I do with new tanks. Then get some nerite snails to help keep any that still form cleaned up.

Back
Top Bottom