Brown Dalmatian Molly??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infamouz88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm not sure but from 5 of my juvenile Dalmatian Mollies one has a brown coloration instead of white with black dots. I'm not sure who the dad was since I bought the mom Molly and it got pregnant. Doubt it was from my black lyretail Molly. But one hint that it was a lyretail Molly is that one of the 5 Mollies has a lyretail and the other four don't. I'll try to get pictures soon, but it it possible for it to be brown?

I have noticed 2 of my Dalmatian Lyretail mollies have the same brown colors. I've read it could just be from and ancestor that wasn't a Dalmatian. Not sure, but it sounded promising when I looked it up! :)

meganxloveee said:
I have noticed 2 of my Dalmatian Lyretail mollies have the same brown colors. I've read it could just be from and ancestor that wasn't a Dalmatian. Not sure, but it sounded promising when I looked it up! :)

So his brown color will get better over time or will it clear up in age? I'm uploading some pics for more help.

All the others are white as this one or have blacker coloration with little white. The other just came out some kind of brown with black spots.

ForumRunner_20120914_105850.jpg

Basically what happens with live bearers is they can actually store sperm from an old mate meaning, if something down the line like maybe a brown Molly mated with your Dalmatian it could have offspring in multiple batches of fry with those brown characteristics. Which is why it is so important to try to keep them with their own when trying to breed them for profit.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
Basically what happens with live bearers is they can actually store sperm from an old mate meaning, if something down the line like maybe a brown Molly mated with your Dalmatian it could have offspring in multiple batches of fry with those brown characteristics. Which is why it is so important to try to keep them with their own when trying to breed them for profit.

I knew that they can store sperm but never really heard of a brown Molly. Just heard of creamsicle, black, white, and Dalmatian. Does having a different color really drop the value if thinking of selling?

In all not really because do many chain stores mix them in tanks and such also it's pretty hard to make money off them if trying to sell them in stores because they can be pretty common so I wouldn't expect to make too much off them unless you have a huge setup where u can breed thousands.

Back
Top Bottom