Browning plant edges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikid88

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've had a 90g planted for awhile, but recently the tips of my

Sagittaria platyphylla and Ludwigia arcuata have been curling at the tips of the leaves and going brown. The Giant Red vals have also started to decline. With see-through sections in parts of it. The Rotala magenta hasn't been in good shape for about 2 months, I've been fighting with it. It seems to be overwhelmed by black algae on new stems after awhile. If I let it keep growing, the stem basicly disinigrates. I'm leaning towards tossing it out, but then I always notice a nice new stem popping up.

I have about 10 other types of plants, all doing perfect, including more delicate ones like Madagascar Lace.

They were all perfect and healthy for months, just a couple weeks ago I noticed decline. I've stayed on schedule with Flourish and Flourish excel. Also have Flourish potassium on hand.

What deficiancy would be causing this? Or is it multiple? I'm leaning towards lack of Iron, but I'm not a plant expert. I'd just like to hear about your opinions from experience with these plants.

Parameters are good with suitable lighting. I placed fert tabs yesterday, no improvement yet. Hoping this will be all I need to do.

Sorry for the pic, taken with cell. It's also only in that one area that's suffering

Attachments

• IMG197.jpg
    IMG197.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 59
Your Plant Question

So I've had a 90g planted for awhile, but recently the tips of my

Sagittaria platyphylla and Ludwigia arcuata have been curling at the tips of the leaves and going brown. The Giant Red vals have also started to decline. With see-through sections in parts of it. The Rotala magenta hasn't been in good shape for about 2 months, I've been fighting with it. It seems to be overwhelmed by black algae on new stems after awhile. If I let it keep growing, the stem basicly disinigrates. I'm leaning towards tossing it out, but then I always notice a nice new stem popping up.

I have about 10 other types of plants, all doing perfect, including more delicate ones like Madagascar Lace.

They were all perfect and healthy for months, just a couple weeks ago I noticed decline. I've stayed on schedule with Flourish and Flourish excel. Also have Flourish potassium on hand.

What deficiancy would be causing this? Or is it multiple? I'm leaning towards lack of Iron, but I'm not a plant expert. I'd just like to hear about your opinions from experience with these plants.

Parameters are good with suitable lighting. I placed fert tabs yesterday, no improvement yet. Hoping this will be all I need to do.

Sorry for the pic, taken with cell. It's also only in that one area that's suffering

Hello Koi...

I've done three things for my plants, with good results. Match the lighting with the plant. Low light plants need up to 1 watt of light per gallon of tank volume. Moderate light plants need 2 watts. Strong light plants, 3 watts and bright light plants 4 + watts per gallon.

I have heavily stocked tanks, so there's no nutrient problem. I simply feed my fish a well balanced diet. If you aren't heavily stocked, then you need to dose a good, commercial fert in dry, liquid or granules.

You need to maintain a high level of minerals in the tank water and the only way to gurantee that is follow an aggressive water change routine. Start changing a minimum of half the water in the tank every week. This maintains water stability, very important for healthy plant growth.

B

Back
Top Bottom