Brownish Algae on Anubias Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weez

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I got my first ever aquarium about a month ago. It is 3.5 gallons with a male betta, a marimo moss ball which I've actually owned for a year, and two anubias plants. My fish seems perfectly healthy and happy (vibrant colors, very active swimmer). However, as you can see in the photograph, my anubias has grown some algae. I read somewhere online that this sort of algae will go away over time (accepting this as truth, I naively didn't bother to write down when I first observed the algae - it's probably been around a week, though). However, it's only gotten thicker, particularly on the large leaf in the upper left corner. Can anyone please tell me what I should do? Thanks!

Edit: Can't get the video to upload...To give a better description of the algae, it's light brown and comes in small almost circular bumps, wispy in some areas, and in dark clumps in others.

Hello all, I got my first ever aquarium about a month ago. It is 3.5 gallons with a male betta, a marimo moss ball which I've actually owned for a year, and two anubias plants. My fish seems perfectly healthy and happy (vibrant colors, very active swimmer). However, as you can see in the photograph, my anubias has grown some algae. I read somewhere online that this sort of algae will go away over time (accepting this as truth, I naively didn't bother to write down when I first observed the algae - it's probably been around a week, though). However, it's only gotten thicker, particularly on the large leaf in the upper left corner. Can anyone please tell me what I should do? Thanks!

Edit: Can't get the video to upload...To give a better description of the algae, it's light brown and comes in small almost circular bumps, wispy in some areas, and in dark clumps in others.
Brown colored algae is usually not algae but protozoa. You can gently place the leaf between your thumd and forfinger and gently rub it off with your thumb. Another consider is that some older leaves naturally start browning and die off as new ones grow. If it is too badly coated and/or brown to clean, just snip it off. New leaves will grow to replace it. If it's growing all over the tank. Recheck the nitrates and do some water changes.

Is it diatoms perhaps? If so they usually go away after a few months. You can try a single oto cat, but they are more comfortable in groups (which is too many for a 3.5 gallon). How long are they lights on for? Are you fertilizing at all? What other plants do you have?

Back
Top Bottom