Bta questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbas4312

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got my first bta a week ago in my 60 gal. And it just recently shrinks and then goes back to normal a few hours later. Its also found a cozy spot between the rock and the wall kind of hidden from the light. Is any of this normal? Ive read on a couple of sights that it is but I just want some feed back to see where I can improve.

When not properly acclimated to a tank, both water and lighting, BTA take the stress poorly. These sensitive, brainless creatures will hide from the light. Think of it like sitting in a dark room for an hour and opening the front door on a bright sunny day after a blanket of snowfall. Can literally blind you. Similar for the anemone, but it can't cover its eyes so into the rocks it goes.
I would make sure that my lighting is strong enough to support an anemone. Then, I would adjust my lighting to adjust from where you got the anemone from and slowly work back to where you normally sit at for a couple weeks.
To get the anemone out from the rocks, point a powerhead at it to see if you can get it to move if it is totally shaded. They don't have brains and can kill themselves like this.

I just got my first bta a week ago in my 60 gal. And it just recently shrinks and then goes back to normal a few hours later. Its also found a cozy spot between the rock and the wall kind of hidden from the light. Is any of this normal? Ive read on a couple of sights that it is but I just want some feed back to see where I can improve.
Hello, when you say shrink. Are you referring to his normal state because they cannot flare constantly. They only do this to intimidate another male or what they consider to be a threat.
You may consider putting a couple floating plants or something he can rest on near top of tank. They have a labyrinth organ & need to breathe air from time to time. He maybe getting tired going up for air in a 60gal. Hope this helps!!!!!

Hello, when you say shrink. Are you referring to his normal state because they cannot flare constantly. They only do this to intimidate another male or what they consider to be a threat.
You may consider putting a couple floating plants or something he can rest on near top of tank. They have a labyrinth organ & need to breathe air from time to time. He maybe getting tired going up for air in a 60gal. Hope this helps!!!!!
Like he will be in his normal state and then go smaller for a little bit of time then go back to normal. And I tried to encourage him to go to a higher spot in the tank because I layered my live rock since I knew they needed light and he just kept detaching himself and moving he currently sits right infront of the out put of my filter so he has a good amount of flow.

When not properly acclimated to a tank, both water and lighting, BTA take the stress poorly. These sensitive, brainless creatures will hide from the light. Think of it like sitting in a dark room for an hour and opening the front door on a bright sunny day after a blanket of snowfall. Can literally blind you. Similar for the anemone, but it can't cover its eyes so into the rocks it goes.
I would make sure that my lighting is strong enough to support an anemone. Then, I would adjust my lighting to adjust from where you got the anemone from and slowly work back to where you normally sit at for a couple weeks.
To get the anemone out from the rocks, point a powerhead at it to see if you can get it to move if it is totally shaded. They don't have brains and can kill themselves like this.
Hes not in total shade hes more like half in half out and moves slightly when he wants more lighting

Like he will be in his normal state and then go smaller for a little bit of time then go back to normal. And I tried to encourage him to go to a higher spot in the tank because I layered my live rock since I knew they needed light and he just kept detaching himself and moving he currently sits right infront of the out put of my filter so he has a good amount of flow.
I totally apologize!!!!! My phone screen is cracked & it kind of hard to read the posts. I originally thought you were talking about a freshwater betta fish(siamese fighting fish). Sorry for the confusion.

I totally apologize!!!!! My phone screen is cracked & it kind of hard to read the posts. I originally thought you were talking about a freshwater betta fish(siamese fighting fish). Sorry for the confusion.
[emoji23] you are perfectly fine I was slightly confused but I see where you were going with that. But on a good note I have a freshwater tank with a female betta that I raised

Back
Top Bottom