Bubble and co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've gone to plants recently and I've got some questions about when should I go to co2 also until I go to co2 should I be running a bubbler I've heard that at night plants release gasses that lower oxygen down a lot please help

When the lights go off for your tank, the Co2 levels will rise because the plants are no longer metabolizing the Co2 into oxygen that they were during light periods. This generally leads to a small PH drop. In my case, it can drop up to .6. I increase my surface agitation when the lights are off to ensure that there is enough oxygen exchange for the fish to be comfortable until the lights come on again.

As far as a Co2 system, it would help to know the tank, plants, and lighting that you're using. In the past, I have gone up to around 2.2 watts per gallon with low and low-medium light plants and never had any problems. Some plants with higher requirements have also grown in those conditions though they were never as vibrant as they could have been.

When the lights go off for your tank, the Co2 levels will rise because the plants are no longer metabolizing the Co2 into oxygen that they were during light periods. This generally leads to a small PH drop. In my case, it can drop up to .6. I increase my surface agitation when the lights are off to ensure that there is enough oxygen exchange for the fish to be comfortable until the lights come on again.

As far as a Co2 system, it would help to know the tank, plants, and lighting that you're using. In the past, I have gone up to around 2.2 watts per gallon with low and low-medium light plants and never had any problems. Some plants with higher requirements have also grown in those conditions though they were never as vibrant as they could have been.

this is what i have its a 55 gallon tank my lighting is 2x32 watt 6500k per bulb and a 1x28 watt 10k and my plants are
Java moss
Java fern
Ambulia
Asst. Apono.
Riccia
Crypto spiralia
purple Cabmoba(i think that's how u spell it)

Most of those plants will do fine in low or low-medium light without the aid of a Co2 system, however the Ambulia and Cabomba like more light. Not sure which scientific name the purple one is, but different types of Cabomba like anywhere from medium to very high light. I've never kept the Riccia but from what I've read it likes high light and Co2.

I don't use Co2 myself, so I can't be of much help there except to say that my Java moss, fern, Aponogetons and crypts have all done well at anywhere from 1-2.2 WPG.

My riccia is floating like 1 inch from the light because I know its more demanding

Back
Top Bottom