Building a terrarium and I need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had planted aquariums for a couple years, but I want to add a terrarium to my list of tanks. I plan on using mainly marginal plants such as anubias, java fern, java moss, hygro, etc.

I have 110 watts over a 46 gallon tank, I think that should be enough lighting for a terrarium. I use Greg Watson ferts too. Since this is not an aquarium and I wouldn't have to worry about algae, could I add more ferts to the water? If so, how much? (there is about 4 gallons of water in it)

I guess my main question is the substrate. I have some eco-complete, but I don't have enough. I was thinking Moon Sand to since it is black like eco-complete. I was also thinking about adding some peat moss, but I don't know if it would clog up the water pumps or decompose too quickly. What would be a good addition to the substrate?

I used to have over 20 terreriums when I was younger, my living terrerium was a 7 layer base substrate system. Within 5 weeks I had to thin the plants out to see the giant tree frogs and gecko's. I can try and rememebr what I used, it was saphagnum peat, some growth substrate, mesh screen for drainage tiles and gravel/carbon in the bottom to help break things down and keep it clean.

the living one was a 40g corner tank,

I was thinking about taking the passive hydroponic route where the bottom roots literally sit in a body of water. I've had some success with this method growing various types of tropical plants. I used a water pump along with a heater to circulate the water and nutrients.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking about going with a drip hydroponic method. I would have to create something to elevate the substrate above the water reservoir. I still really want to use my Eco-complete, but I don't know if I would be able to prevent it from going into the water below and clogging up the water pumps.

if you use rocks as a base then a layer of window screen, plant the plants, then fill the rest around the plants it should work, For my drip systems I used 2 liter bottled, some aquarium air line and a flow regulator and had from 1 drip and hour to full open.

that sounds great, I'll use rocks on the bottom layer and separate the eco-complete with some screen. I'm sure that a little bit of eco will fall below, but I don't think that it will be a significant amount.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom