Bulb Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 44g corner tank that I've recently added some plants too. I have some Java Fern and Moss, a sword plant and I think Wisteria. Just wondering what kind of lighting I should be using? Right now I just have an aquarium bulb, I think 15 w (sorry I don't have more info). I was thinking I should get a brighter bulb (maybe 40w?). Don't know much about different bulbs and lighting and what not....yet ;) Thanks in advance for your help :D

Attachments

• image-2072265815.jpg
    image-2072265815.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 91
Is that an incandescent bulb? If so, you are seriously under powered.

As a rule, you want fluorescent over a planted tank. They give our far more light per watt. If you have the standard screw in socket, try fitting in a compact fluorescent. It depends on the shape of the hood as to what will fit, but get the biggest one you can. You want at least 40-60W of CF (get daylight or full spectrum ones) over that tank. <You might only have room for a 13W mini, but that would still be better than a 15W incandescent.>

Now, if you already have a fluorescent, then you are stuck. You can upgrade the bulb only if you swap out the ballast & change the endcaps ...

Thanks!! It is fluorescent but I searched everywhere today and there isn't a bulb that will fit my tank, more than 15 w. Gonna have to figure out a DIY project as to how I can make a new hood with some different bulbs...think I'll talk to my handy husband about this one :)

Florescent bulbs cannot be "upgraded" without a new fixture. They are what they are... if your fixture takes a 15W bulb, that is all you will get.

Unfortunately, this light over that tank will most likely not keep the plants alive. They may last for awhile, but you won't see much growth and my guess is they will slowly die. You have a couple things going against you here... the single bulb is not powerful enough even based just on the 44gal tank size. But it is also a deep tank. Light dissipates surprisingly fast in water, so the deeper a tank, the more powerful lighting you need to reach the substrate. I think to grow low light plants in a tank like yours, I would look for a lighting solution that gets me pretty close to at least 40W of total light. T5HO lighting is great... lots of power in a pretty compact package. With some good reflectors, it would do well on cutting through the depth of your tank.

Beautiful tank though! With some proper lighting it could be an amazing planted tank!

Thanks for the info...I figured out how I can get 15w more light as there is a spot for another hood. I found the part at my LFS...I'd have therefore have 30 w and my tank is right beside a window...that makes a difference doesn't it? I guess a different bulb too..you mean a different color light spectrum (that's the did between a t8 and the t5ho?). Thanks again for your help!!! :)

30w might be enough to grow low light plants. Would at least give you a fighting chance.

You want bulbs that have a color temp of 6500-10000K

Back
Top Bottom