Bulldog/Rubberlip Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jestes

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any experience with a Bulldog/Rubberlip Pleco? As much as I dislike buying fish from a chain store, I was at Petsmart yesterday returning a filter and I saw they had this fish for sale for $1... Needless to say, I've got one in a 5 gallon quarantine tank right now :)

The biggest question I have is, are there any things I need to watch out for with this particular breed as far as temperment, medications, diet, ect? Since it came from a chain store, I'm keeping an extremely close eye out for bugs....

yes all bottomfeeders are on sale thru the end of the month.

LFS usually have the same amount of bugs, my petsmart fish including RLP are all healthy and thriving. diet they eat what goes in, they love fresh blanched zuchs and algae wafers, they will eat shrimp pellets too but 99.9% of the time they are sucking glass.

I havnt had more then 1 in a tank, two others were added and they ended up dead after 30 day QT and two days in the tank with the OG rubber lip.

make sure you have driftwood in the tank for it, i love mine but it only comes out at night, it spends all day rasping on its driftwood underneath

Same here. Mine only comes out at night. It spend all day attached to the bottom of a piece of driftwood. He excavated a hole under it & that is his house.

One thing is that my rubberlip does not like to be moved. If I move the driftwood, he would drag it back to the spot he like. and I also find uprooted plants from time to time. Other than that, he is totally maintenance free.

Thanks! I'm halfway tempted to go get another one since they're only a buck... Not sure if they'd be too territorial towards one another though. I've read conflicting reports.

Bulldog pleco is a pretty good description for them. The one I had would chase a pictus cat and a raphael cat that were both three times the pleco's size whenever the cats would get too close to his cave. The pleco would back into his cave with a bunch of short jerky movements that reminded me a lot of an English bulldog's walk.

Dang, if they'll chase a larger pictus/raphael I think I'll stick to one at a time...

Back
Top Bottom