Bullied Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristah13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently started a new tank. I had two dwarf gourmamis and an opal gourami. I started noticing one of them was looking a jot haggard. After watching I noticed the opal was bullying the other. I attached a picture of the injured guy. Will his fins and scales return as they were before? I removed the bulky.

Attachments

• image-2450177979.jpg
    image-2450177979.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 135
I recently started a new tank. I had two dwarf gourmamis and an opal gourami. I started noticing one of them was looking a jot haggard. After watching I noticed the opal was bullying the other. I attached a picture of the injured guy. Will his fins and scales return as they were before? I removed the bulky.

It will, but you need to have a clean water, if possible make 30% PWC twice a week to keep the water clean, this will prevent infections.

Okay that's good to hear. He was so pretty until he started getting picked on. Should I avoid larger gouramis in general or could it have just been the personality if that fish?

Kristah13 said:
Okay that's good to hear. He was so pretty until he started getting picked on. Should I avoid larger gouramis in general or could it have just been the personality if that fish?

Gouramis are cousins of the Bettas, in other words, could be aggressive against each other.
How big is your tank?

Kristah13 said:
It's ten gallons. Could tank size be why he got bullied?

Definitely, your tank is small for three , even is too small for two. Some fish like the gouramies, are territorial, when they are congested in a small tank, they will be really aggressive against each other, trying to claim the territory.

Observe the remaining two, to see if there is not aggression.

Good luck

Well the two did fine together. I added the opal after them. What about an upside down catfish? I'd really like to have a 3rd

Well it is a smaller one. maximum 3-4 inches. I may look into that

Same thing happened to me, I had a dwarf gourami that got attacked when i added an opal and a gold gourami. the opal ( blue in color) kept picking on my dwarf (not really on the gold) the dwarf got nipped at and beaten up this was in my 30G. He died a couple days later i hope your little guy survives!

I hope so too! I took out the bully so I hope that helps. Have you had other fish that were successful with gouramis?

Depending on the personality of the gourami there are plenty if candidates but having 2 gouramis in a small tank is going to limit you quite a bit.

Well my injured guy may die soon. If not, I might return him to the pet store and get something else. They were the ones that told me 2 would be fine, even when I mentioned aggressive tendencies.

I had my girlfriend return the dward gourami. I bought it at Petco and they took it back with no problem, they did not give me cash back but a credit to the store which I am going to use anyway. I would not recommend putting a lot of fish in the 10G. They are going to have a lot of waste and it's going to cause you to do more maintanence. Currently in my 30G FW tank I have 2 rainbow sharks, a red tail shark, 2 red wag platys, a gold gourami, a yellow molly ( not sure of exact name), a pineapple sword tail, 2 african frogs, 2 chinese algae eaters, 1 pleco.

The sword tails are really neat. They are very active and are beautiful fish. They stay small in size. There's different colors and names. Red/ yellow/ orange/ pinapple. I love my red wags as well. They are very small too and would recommend to get 2 females for each male this way 1 does not get picked on/stressed as much. They are live-breeders so if you have a male/female make sure that you have a smaller tank to transfer the fry too. Supposedly they breed every 28 days or something. My female is much larger than my male and she looks pregoos!

You can also put some neon tetras in there. Make sure you have a sponge over the bottom part of your filter that sucks the water up this way they dont get caught ( i learned this the hard way)

I had the same issue with my Gouramis in my 30-gallon tank. The problem is just like ejara said...the Gouramis are very territorial. Any time you have just a couple, they tend to fight a lot. I"ve heard of several solutions.
1-Get more gouramis, and they seem to fight less. I think it's more of a situation where the aggression gets "spread around" rather than focused between two or three fish. The only way you can do this is to get a much larger tank.
2- Remove some of the Gouramis. In your case, even removing the Opal Gourami, the Sunset and the Dwarf may still have issues. (The fish in the background of your picture is a Sunset Dwarf Gourami). It may just be that the Dwarf has spent so much time running away from Opal, that Sunset hasn't had time to get into the mix.

I"ve been able to keep Blue Gouramis and Gold Gouramis in my community tank with no problems, but strictly one at a time. Any time another is added, it's Friday Fight Night. For some reason though, I've never been able to keep a Dwarf Gourami alive more than acouple months, even by themself. Any other type of Gourami grows to be 4-5 inches...Dwarfs are lucky to make it 3 months in my hands. I've given up on them...but to get back to your question...in a 10-gallon, I'd do one one Dwarf only.

I have 4 blues in my 55 gallon with 2 kissing fish and 2 small bala sharks. There are also 7 tiger barbs. I've never had issues with aggression. Other than the tigers killing each other. Fish though are all different in their personalities.

Back
Top Bottom