Bumblebee shrimp & Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danny.

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would it be wise to put my betta in a seperate tank with some bumblebee shrimp. When i got the shrimp they were smaller than expected so ive had to put them in a breeding trap so they don't get eaten by the other fish, however i don't think their too keen on it and dont seem too happy.
On the other hand i have a betta that keeps nipping at my guppys ruining their tails and fins.
I have a quarantine tank set up and beginging to cycle however i need to get the betta out of the tank and the shrimp into a bigger tank so you see the dilema.
any advice?
thanks

The betta will eat shrimp most likely so I wouldn't advise putting them together.

How are you cycling your new tank? With one well established tank, you shouldn't really ever have to start from scratch. When we start up a new tank (more common than you could imagine lol), we just move some established media from one of the others, stock it lightly, and do a couple extra water changes. The bioload of the shrimp is low and that should lend itself to doing a "silent" cycle. HTH.

A betta may (or may not) leave adult shrimp alone. Depends upon the personality of the betta, but I wouldn't be optimistic. Baby shrimplets would be eaten with about 99.9% certainty. If it was a big tank, super super heavily planted, lots of hiding places, lots of mosses, etc., then you might be able to get some babies to survive to adulthood. But no guarantees.

Back
Top Bottom