Bunch of questions about new gsp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LtGhost08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I just got a baby green spotted puffer and have some questions. One is that right now he is in a cycled 10 gallon tank (too small i kno) so i want to move him to a larger tank. I would like a 20 gallon tall and he will have no other tank mates. My question is that i want to get the 20 gallon and jumpstart the tank using the filter from established tank (biowheel 100 i believe) and put it in the new tank as well as use gravel from the 10 gallon and use it in the new tank as well. Basically move all from the 10 into the new tank to jump start it. The question is how long till i can move the fish from the old to the new? Will i be able to add him instantly? And how long till i can add in the brackish water and at what rate? Please help! And will he chew on gravel to file his beak? I have snails to feed him as well as bloodworms. I want to know if the gravel i have will b ok from the old tank or if i should get crushed coral. Thank you! Sorry for the question storm

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f29/green-spotted-puffer-profile-174144.html

Although you seed a new tank, you still need to cycle the new tank. Add your ammonia source and test the water parameters every other day until 0 ammonia and nitrItes with loads of nitrAtes.

Get crushed coral sand. He will not chew on gravel. Raise salt level up to 0.002 per week. If you raise it faster, then you risk killing all your beneficial bacteria. Try to get 30+ gallon (anything bigger than 29g tank) for a single GSP.

Also what other foods will help file down his beak? I will be getting crushed coral for the substrate for the new tank and i already give him snails but i know they need some kind of varieties. And ghost shrimp are kinda expensive in my opinion..60 cents each! Any suggestions? Would mealworms help file his beak or are they not crunchy enough?

Just feed snails regularly, but also feed a variety of meaty crustaceans and/or worms. The grocery store sells a lot of frozen, raw seafood. Raw shrimp is my favorite. If you want more hard-shelled food, then get the raw clam.

If you buy anything live, then freeze them for a few days to kill any harmful parasites. Always thaw in a separate bowl before feeding.

I thaw in aquarium vitamins. Its a cheap insurance for fish to get all their supplements.

Back
Top Bottom