Buying used canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Armando17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys im looking into buying my first canister filter and found one on craigslist for $50 its aa eheim professional 3,

heres the description of they guy on the filter
"This high-end multi-stage canister fish tank filter came with a used aquarium set-up I just purchased. The guy I bought it from told me that it is just over a year old (although I think it's more like 3-4 years old). I saw the filter up and running before I bought the set-up. The water was crystal clear and the filter extremely quiet (the pictures I've posted are of the filter and tank just before it was drained to move it). However the quick release for where the hoses attach to the head doesn't release, and the primer pump doesn't pump, so it's more involved to get the system primed after cleaning. I really don't wan't to deal with the extra steps during aquarium maintenance time and just prefer the ease of maintenance of a biowheel hang-on-the-back filter. If you don't mind the extra work to get the canister primed this is a great filter. Since it's not currently set-up on my tank it's being sold as-is and is priced at $50 for a quick sale"

is what hes describing with it the filter that it works just takes more time or tht it doesn't work at all or cant be fixed? am I off better buying one new or waiting for a different one, should I ask for less? thanks guys any info would help:thanks:

When buying Eheim used remember individual parts and new media is expensive, so compare what you'll need to spend to get it working to your satisfaction to the price new (Kensfish and Bigals are good places online to check prices).
It sounds to me that you have a good deal, but if these are features you can't live without, then price the replacement parts first.

Back
Top Bottom