Can a API SW kit be used to test FW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Condensation

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Purchased a new test kit today as I moved and lost the old one in transition. When I got home I noticed I had purchased the API Saltwater kit instead of the Freshwater. The chemicals appear to be the same, except that the SW kit doesn't have the low pH test that I know the FW kit has.

What I looked up told me that the kit can't be used, and that it can be used but I need the FW kit card (apparently the SW colors are different but the chemicals are the same). Any advice?

Perfectly fine to use (exact same chemicals/tests) but you will need the fw cards as the sw cards differ a bit. Marketing ploy that you need to purchase separate kits for fw, sw and ponds. If you google API freshwater color cards (for specific tests), they are online in abundance. I am pretty sure there are plenty of people on here that have extra cards laying around as well. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Perfectly fine to use (exact same chemicals/tests) but you will need the fw cards as the sw cards differ a bit. Marketing ploy that you need to purchase separate kits for fw, sw and ponds. If you google API freshwater color cards (for specific tests), they are online in abundance. I am pretty sure there are plenty of people on here that have extra cards laying around as well. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, jlk is correct. You can probably save the image of the actual test card somewhere and keep it for reference.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

In my area the FW kit runs from $30-35. Having never owned an SW tank I'm not familiar with the specifics, but I paid $29.99 for the SW kit today.

I already found the FW cards online, so I'll just print them out. Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom