Can a betta go in here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reaper216

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking the answer is no, but I wanted to ask and hope for the best anyway.

I have 6 mollies at the moment, 2 of them beind lyretails. Will the betta consider them a threat and want to fight them?

I love the way bettas look and would love to add one to my tank, but not at the cost of stressing my current fish

How big is your tank? And what color are your mollies? Are they nippy? Is the tank heavily planted?

Tank is a 40 gallon.

Mollies are 4 dalmation, 2 black.

I am working on planting it. I've only had the tank set up for about 5 weeks now so I'm learning and stocking as I go. I do have several silk plants in there currently though

I think you will be fine. My gf has her betta in with 2 black mollies and a Dalmatian. They mollies pick more on the betta !

I agree, you should be okay- but plant heavy, so anyone who needs to hide- can. It breaks up line of sight and automatically lowers any possible aggression.

My advice- would be to buy a smaller tank- maybe 2.5 gallons just in case for the betta, and if you are lucky you won't need it, and you will have a hospital tank just in case!

Another option is a female betta group. You could have 6 that way, I've kept many sororities of female bettas over the years, and is be happy to advise you further if you want.

The females look lame when you get them at a petsmart or something similar- but when you get them into a nice big tank, they will develop colors just like a male, their fins just aren't as long.

Is there anything I really shouldnt put with a betta? I wanted to get 1 or 2 dwarf gouramis.

I may wait until petcos next $1 a gallon sale and grab a couple 10 gallons. a just in case tank, a hospital etc

Google some pictures, there are many gorgeous females out there, and you have more than enough room to keep them happy. :)

Attachments

• image-878852842.jpg
    image-878852842.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 69
I wouldn't advise DG they can be aggressive, and territorial..

Anything without colorful fins or long fins, as the betta will become aggressive- thinking it's another betta.

I've had success with ADF, neon tetras, Glo's, mollies. But you can easily look up a list online.

Your best bet is a group of females IMO.

Absolutely. I'm happy to help. I'm a huge fan of betta sororities, they developed such awesome personalities, and their own "houses" haha it's super entertaining to watch them interact.

I had one, that was just a grey female about an inch long from petsmart- that developed into a vibrant ravens purple, with hot pink, and got to be 4 inches long. :)

Please feel free to pm me with any questions if this is something your considering. And good luck!

Here is one of my females. A deep gorgeous blue. Sorry she doesn't like pictures! Haha

Attachments

• image-3826927829.jpg
    image-3826927829.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image-2289233567.jpg
    image-2289233567.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 59
There's a good one!

Attachments

• image-4157175450.jpg
    image-4157175450.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 56