Can a pistol shrimp break the aquarium glasses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daylilly

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking of getting one but if they can break the glass with the snap then I ain't lol. Which goby goes good? I like the Randall.

Thanks

No. Pistol shrimps do not and can not break glass. You are thinking of a Mantis Shrimp, and even those need to be fairly large to break glass, even though they can.

So no, pistol shrimp do not break glass.

The Randalli goby is a good candidate to pair up with a pistol shrimp, and i've seen many tanks with these pairs. You can try other gobies as well, like a Yellow Watchman goby or a Wheelers watchman goby, etc.. Usually the sand-burrowing gobies *could* pair up with a pistol shrimp. Even though your chances of them teaming up are decent, it is not a sure-fire thing.

Oh so that's cool cause I was scared that the noise of there snap at night would crack the glass something i guess cause of the vibration. My LFS sells paired ones sometimes so I'd wait for that I guess. Pretty need to watch them do there thang!
Can u keep like a tiger pistol and randal AND another pair of pistol and yellow watchman?

In a 75G tank it may be possible, but you may see a battle between the two go down. Usually they stay in there own holes, but the problem is that it's never just one hole. It's usually a network of holes under the sand. That may conflict if there's two of them digging around. I wouldn't advise it, but you can try it out if you want.

Good idea. Be sure to show us some pictures of 'em when you get them! :)

I just went to a lecture about gobies and shrimp pairing up. Its amazing. Different breed pistol shrimp pair off with specific gobies. So ask your LFS t order them together.

And almost every single goby will NOT get along with another goby of the same species unless they are a mated pair. Eventually one will seek out and kill the other.

I forgot to ask how the sifter gobys get the food out and spit the sand.

I am not aware of non-mating gobies and shrimp fighting and one being killed. I agree that some gobies and shrimp in the same tank won't necessarily pair up. I've had 3 different shrimp in my tanks over the years. Never bought a paired set with a goby. Every single one of them found each other eventually and shared a home. Might have taken some time to find each other, but they always did. But one seeking out the other to kill? Never heard of that.

Any link or proof you can offer on that one? I'm really interested in that one.

Back
Top Bottom