can a small tank cycle faster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 3.5 or 4 gal that cycled literally overnight. Raised ammo to the purple on my api test, and over night went to zero! I added some very well estqblished filter matiereal to a 3 gal airstone powered filter (as much filter matiereal as I could stuff in there and it still work)
Is this possible? Its been a week and steady with a small betta in it...

Sure! In your case it's about the amount of bacteria you brought over compared to bio-load (or ammonia). Say the media came from a 55 gallon which was chewing through ammo and no2... by introducing it to a small tank, it instantly can handle the ammonia you're throwing at it simply because theres so much bacteria. We use the same basic idea when setting up QT's by introducing established bacteria from the main tank to a smaller one and having it pretty much insta-cycle. Never seen a purple shade on an API kit though, lol. :)

Hmm ik new it would be lickety split, but I was honestly expecting some sort of mini cycle..but alas, its all good and still steady

Back
Top Bottom