Can a tank be to big for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinCase

Aquarium Advice Activist
I put my convict and firemouth in a 120 gal aquarium and they just dont eat like they used to in their old 20 gal...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There probably getting used to the new tank. Fish in large tanks can have issues of finding food at fist, which is why dry are kept in smaller tanks at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They do see the food its like their afraid of having such a big tank for their size

I say they see it because they go towards it as if their going to eat and just decide not to

I agree with Fishdude3233. Probably feeling out the tank. They don't want to just be in the open, not knowing if something is laying in wait to eat them. They also may be stressed from changing tanks or not feeling perfectly well. Time will tell....

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes but a big tank can "spook" smaller fish right after there added. There not use to all the swimming space.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Ok, just adding another devils advocate moment...
Maybe they are less stressed. They could feel like they have so much space and resources now that they are in less of a hurry.

Please remember that these fish come from lakes that are hundreds of thousands of millions of gallons. As long as they have some caves and territory they can call home, there is no tank too big.

How true, Sleeves!

Sillyfishies is soooo right. A place to guard and call home (& maybe a mate or not) is all a cichlid wants. :)

Just give them lots of cover and they'll settle in. These fish do come from huge water systems usually but most spend their time near cover and not out in open water where they become easy prey.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Probably just feeling out the area , when I put my oscar in the big tank it took him a good week to get comfy ...

125gal Oscar , 56gal African Cichlids , 10gal ???, soon to buy and set up 75gal Central American Cichlid tank

I would be really curious to see how there behavior changes after get settled in. I bet no other FM and Convict have a tank that size to call there own.

Like Jeta said give them more cover, most of your brightly colored fish from CA come from muddy/dark water with lots of cover which is why they are so colorful in the first place. Variants that come from clear shallow water are typically very drab to blend in as to not be noticed by Piscivorous birds.

Also allot of your cichlids like the Meeki come from southern Mexico and are typically found in small, ponds, streams/creeks, tributaries and swamps. With the larger fish found in the main channels.

Also River there are plenty of people like my self that keep Amatitlania, Cryptoheros, Archocentrus, and Thorichthys in larger tanks. As soon as my racks are welded up this weekend my Thorichthys sp "Gold Mixteco" will have their own 125g. Rusty Wessel keeps all this Thorichthys breeding groups in 125s.

Like Jeta said give them more cover, most of your brightly colored fish from CA come from muddy/dark water with lots of cover which is why they are so colorful in the first place. Variants that come from clear shallow water are typically very drab to blend in as to not be noticed by Piscivorous birds.

Also allot of your cichlids like the Meeki come from southern Mexico and are typically found in small, ponds, streams/creeks, tributaries and swamps. With the larger fish found in the main channels.

Also River there are plenty of people like my self that keep Amatitlania, Cryptoheros, Archocentrus, and Thorichthys in larger tanks. As soon as my racks are welded up this weekend my Thorichthys sp "Gold Mixteco" will have their own 125g. Rusty Wessel keeps all this Thorichthys breeding groups in 125s.

In groups yes, I have seen some really cool breeding groups of different Thoricthys species in larger tanks but never one Firemouth by themselves in a tank so big.

If it's just the two cichlids in the tank they'll need dither fish and cover as suggested, but the tank certainly isn't too big no.

Back
Top Bottom