Can anyone please identify these critters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Memo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone please identify these critters I was looking in to my tank at night with a flashlight and there was approximately 15-20 of these critters swimming around like mad and attacking the sand and live rock. I have a 110 gal. Tank with 120 lbs of live rock (Tonga and Marshal Island). Tank is been running since mid November. All parameters OK and have one small lionfish. They don’t bother the fish but they are swimming around and almost attacking the sand. What are they and do I need to get rid off them? They are attracted to the flashlights beam and I don’t see them during the day. Please help!
Thanks
Memo

Attachments

• crtr.jpg
    crtr.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 456
Photo 2

Attachments

• crtr2.jpg
    crtr2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 440
Looks like a pod to me. And you DO NOT want to get rid of them if that's what they are. They are beneficial and a sign of healthy water conditions. They help with natural filtration of the water...not to mention a source of live food for your fish.

It does look like some type of isopod. Though, I've never seen anything like it. For the most part, isopods aren't anything to be concerned about. There is some parasitic ones but most are just janitors. Here are some links to photos of different types. Not an inclusive list I'm sure but shows some of the diversity in shape and size. So long as they don't appear to be a threat to anything in your tank, I'd say live and let live. :D

http://www.yale.edu/inverts/caribs/isopods.html
http://www.mov.vic.gov.au/crust/isopogal.html

lloks like an iso.

Some are parasitic but they rarely get into tanks. The only ones that i've seen that are parasitic don't look yours so it's probably okay to leave it.
Most parasitic oones are a short round little things with giant black eyes spots.

Back
Top Bottom