Can anyone tell what kind of snail this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM1101

Aquarium Advice Regular
This came in on a plant I got from petco and was wondering what kind is it? Is it going to harm my plants or fry?

Attachments

• 20170914_120413-1.jpg
    20170914_120413-1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 59
Hard to tell from that angle, but it looks like a bladder snail or common pond snail.

Definitely and acute bladder snail. I got a baby one with some duckweed one time. :) They're super cleaners, eating decaying parts on plants (not live parts) and algae off plants and aquarium glass. They'll skim the surface of the water, breathing air and eating microscopic things floating around. But beware of an invasion! I was convinced that since I got my snail when it was a baby and there was only one that it would never lay fertilized eggs. ...I was wrong! As soon as it matured it started laying egg blobs EVERYWHERE! I had to get it it's own 2 gallon tank and find all the eggs and put them in there so my real 10 gallon aquarium won't be overrun. And as for your questions, these snails very docile (and fast) and won't harm fish, shrimp, or fry.

Perfect, thank you for all your helpful info! I did see him crawling across the top of the water from the cord to a plant.

Back
Top Bottom