Can Corys give off an electric charge when stressed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I few weeks back i bought a half-dozen SAEs and 2 Corys from the LFS. The kid put them both in the same bag and sent me on my way.

When I got home all of the SAEs were floating upside down in the bag and the two corys were just fine. I have never had a fish die in the bag on the way home from the LFS, which led me to ponder how this could occur.

SAEs can be very fragile in my experience, but i brought 4 more back from the LFS in a seperate bag and had no problems (at least in the transportation). I thought I heard somewhere that Corys can give off an electrical charge when stressed but I can't seem to find anything to prove that one way or the other.

Anyone else heard of this, or have any other ideas on how 2 small corys killed off a school of SAE bag-mates?

Hmm...I've never heard of that before but it's true you learn something new every day. I will go research that, but I don't believe corys contain an electric organ that would enable them to do that. I could be wrong...someone else will correct me if so!

Corys are not an electrical fish. Maybe the saes was just one of those things. I would make sure your LFS seperates your fish by species into different bags in the future, that way you can acclimate each sepeartely and avoid any aggression problems.

Back
Top Bottom