Can fry handle a little salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Define a little. If you are just treating for ich or adding a little to help with frayed fins or fungus then yeah, it should be fine. I've put a small amount of salt (to treat a minor issue) in the tanks of several different kinds of fish including convicts without any issue.

I have the mom with the fry alone bcus the dad started attacking her an shes missin some fin an some scales

Give her clean water and soak her food in Garlic Guard and Vita-Chem to help keep her immune system strong and regrow the finnage.

May I ask why you can't do that?

Salt, in a lesser dose, might not harm the fry.

I dont have either of those and im pretty sure that my lfs doesnt have them.

Fry and Salt

Hello Tiger...

You're asking a very "loaded" question. I add a bit more than a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every five gallons of my water change water and replace at least half the tank water weekly. I've found over the years, my fish do better with it. The fry in my tanks do fine with a little salt.

I keep large tanks of "Livebearers", that also include a good number of different species of Corydoras. This amount of salt is really minimal and my plants do fine with it. I think a little standard aquarium salt has it's benefits for the fish in general.

But, I understand tropicals will do fine without it.

Just one fan of using salt in the freshwater aquarium.

B

I use it in my 29 gallon but dont use the full dose that it says and my fish just seem more active and healthier

I agree with you BBradbury to an extent. I do utilize salt to deal with fin issues and fungus, it doesn't take much and it usually clears the problem right up. These are primarily in holding/stock tanks though, I'd be more wary if I was dealing with a community setting since there is multiple species that may be affected differently.

I don't believe in using salt as a remedy though, just a medication.

But if your fish are different you can still add some and see how they react. Ive seen people who put a little in with cories and kept increasing it slowly up to the normal dosage and they were just fine

Back
Top Bottom