Can guppy fry eat regular tropical fish flakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingMaddog

Aquarium Advice Activist
My guppy just gave birth last night in my tank and I have about 6 fry that seem to be surviving. I don't have any special fry food and was wondering if it's okay for them to just eat the flakes I feed the rest? I crush some up to a powder and drop it into the plant they are hiding in. I know it's small enough because I witnessed them eating it. They also graze on what little bit of algae that is on the plant as well. Is this ok for them? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, powdered flake is fine. They would benefit from tiny live or frozen food, but can grow quite happily on a good quality flake.

As well.as algae, they will be nibbling at the multitude of microscopic fauna that make up the biofilm that coats plant leaves, rocks etc.

They can survive on crushed flakes, but that is the least effective way of keeping them alive and growing.

I'm kind of old school, but anyone with breeding experience can tell you there is a universe of difference between flake and live food. First, I feed all my fish live food or real veggies. I feed flake food as well, but everyone gets live food daily. If you take a group of guppy fry and seperate them feeding one group flake only and the other live baby brine shrimp or micro worms you will see a drastic difference in two weeks or less. The fish eating live food are growing much faster, sexing out quicker, have much better color and within a month you would not recognize them as from the same group of fry as the flake food bunch. Why do I have 4"-5" swordtails? I feed live food and give them the room they need. In 8-10 weeks my sword fry are the size of those little swords you see at, "Pet Whatever." My female Endlers are 3-4 (x) the size of the female guppys in the LFS, even though Endlers are smaller fish. Besides the obvious advatnages for the fry, the adults benefit greatly as well. Many of my livebearers don't bother their own fry that much as they are too busy chasing down shrimp. My larger females throw huge broods of fry. Yes, a large female swordtail can throw 70 (+) fry. The fish demonstrate much better health and are robust in their activities. If you never tried it you should. You can get micro worms or brine shrimp eggs and produce as much live food as you with cheaply. I f you want to do an easy experiment this summer set out two containers of water. In a week or so you will have mosquito lava that can be netted out and fed straight to your fish. You will notice the difference very quickly especially if you have a group of fry 2-3 weeks old eating just flake food. Once your done, you'll be hooked.

The best food is freshly hatched baby brine shrimp. I do not have much experience breeding guppys but if they are big enough do it!

I have fry that are being fed microworms.. Crushed flakes.. Baby brine shrimp and liquifry.. I give a different variety each feed.. Mine are now two weeks old and are a great size.. They already look as tho their colours will come thru soon.. Can't wait

Back
Top Bottom