Can I add a protein skimmer to an established tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csouth1994

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 g tank for about 3 months now. and I am not very familiar on protein skimmers but I heard it would be very helpful. Can I add that to my tank even though it's already established? How do I do this?

You can either add it to your sump or get a HOB one. You can start them anytime.

I don't have anything except an hang on filter. And I have no idea how to do anything else. Could you please give me a process on how to do things as this is an established aquarium? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390665479.178360.jpg

A HOB filter is not enough. Im guessing you don't have a sump. They are a good idea and can be done just as you are. I`ll post this three part link on them

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com

This will give you added water volume plus a place to put your skimmer. IF you don't want a sump or refuge you can get a HOB skimmer. I used a Skilter Skimmer for a while. Most folks don't like them but it pulled out a lot of skimate for me. Also till you can get all this done PWC`s are still a way to remove Dissolved organic compounds from the water. Also a lot of folks use canister filters. There are several options here.

So how do I attach the sump and a protein skimmer to the tank?

The water will drain down to your sump by a HOB overflow and return to the tank with a return pump. The link will explain it all.

I have a 55 gallon sw tank and run a hob filter and a hob protein skimmer with 2 power heads and roughly 70lbs of live rock. With your 75 a similar setup would be sufficient. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390689861.061672.jpg

Would a hob skimmer work on the side? Just because I have my tank all the way backed up to the wall

Any one that you know would work good but also could hang on the side?

I'd imagine any of them would work, but it's dependent on what top you have on the tank. Personally I'd move your tank off the wall. A lot of work, but probably necessary

Back
Top Bottom