Can I fix a cracked HOB filter with super glue? + Another filter not working right.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two Aquaclear 20 filters with some problems. The first was knocked off a shelf, and the box part of the filter was cracked on the side opposite the cord, impeller, etc., and will definitely leak if I try to use it. I don't think the filter has been damaged beyond this crack. I have read that dried superglue would be non-toxic to fish. Could I fix the crack in the filter and use it after a couple of days? This is supposed to be my back-up filter in case my filters in-use now go boom.

I did currently have both an Aquaclear 20 and 30 on my 20 gallon long tank, but the 20 that was active on that tank suddenly started to make a horrid buzzing noise and started to take in water much slower. I took the impeller out and cleaned the filter, but there seems to be a problem with the inner parts, because it still will not function correctly. The noise is awful.

I have had both of these Aquaclear 20's for only a half a year. I don't have the original box or papers that came with them, so I don't think I can get any kind of warranty now.

Yeah, the super glue will be fine. Just be sure to get the gel cyanoacrylate kind.

For your other filter, did you notice any damage on the impeller? Did you clean the impeller shaft or just the impeller? Does the impeller spin freely or does it stop spinning quickly?

Yeah, the super glue will be fine. Just be sure to get the gel cyanoacrylate kind.

For your other filter, did you notice any damage on the impeller? Did you clean the impeller shaft or just the impeller? Does the impeller spin freely or does it stop spinning quickly?

I have some Gorilla brand super glue on hand, and the package says it contains cyanoacrylate. I don't think it is gel, though. Seems pretty liquid-like. (I didn't know there was gel super glue.) So I guess I'll look for gel super glue tomorrow. I thought I could patch the crack with the regular glue. Guess I won't risk it if gel would be better. Or maybe aquarium silicone gel would work, come to think of it? Would that be too soft after curing?

The impeller shaft is the little rod in the slot where the impeller is inserted, right? Or is it the slot itself? I cleaned in there as best I could but it's hard to see inside it. It's tiny. There is no visible damage. The impeller doesn't stop spinning after I turn it on, if that's what you mean. The filter just filters water slower than it did before it started making the loud buzz.

The GorillaGlue brand is a gel. Good stuff. Even still, I would not trust the repair except as an emergency until you can come up with another, as the repair will still be a weak point prone to leaks. Looks like you noted that the FUBAR filter is the same as the cracked one. I would investigate exchanging parts between the two. Beyond that, you may be better off buying a new one.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

HOB filters are what, $20-$30 at PetSmart?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I fixed a cracked bucket with aquarium sealant. Sanded the plastic and then smeared it on. Lasted about two years. Of course, this was a bucket out of doors full of chicken water so if it dripped a little, no biggie. No way I'd try it on a filter because a bit of dripping there potentially means damage to the stand and floor. Murphy's law says it fails while you're on vacation.

Either combine the two to make one intact filter or replace it. Not worth the risk.

Well, I never thought I would be able to take the box part of the filters off of the part with the impeller and cord. I tried it, and they twist right off. I put the undamaged parts from each filter together and now I have a fully functional filter instead of two broken ones. This is great. Now I don't have to worry about getting a new back-up filter. :)
Now, at least I have some spare parts from the other filter. The impeller, media holder and intake tube are all fine.
Thanks for the tips. :thanks:

I have had good luck with the fluval c series for hob filters. If you needed to replace it thats what I would recommend

Back
Top Bottom