Can I grow plants with this light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdma

Aquarium Advice Regular
My husband bought me a used 30g tank and it came w/ a aquarilux 20w fluorescent bulb. I have a few plants in my other tank and want to grow some in this one too. I want to keep it a low tech set up for now, would the bulb I have be sufficient or should I get something else?

It depends on the dimensions, but you would probably have fairly low light. Beyond that it depends on what you are trying to grow.

I think it's 30x12x18. The length and width I measured today so I know those are right. The height I'm not sure on.

I don't have a plan yet but in my 14g I have anacharis, hornwort, what my husband tells me is ludwigia (although I'm not sure he's right!) and something else that looks similar to the hornwort but is thicker if that makes sense. I'd transfer some of those over and then add some different plants. I'd like something that could be a carpet/ground cover, maybe marsilea? And then something that looks more grassy. I know this all sounds very vague but haven't spent much time researching yet so I don't have a really clear idea on what I want other than I want to keep it as easy and low fuss as possible.

You're not going to be able to do what you're describing without a much better light and CO2, unfortunately. Carpets are very demanding from a resource perspective.

I was afraid of that. Well if I ditch the carpet idea would that light work or do I still need to get something better? If so, what would you recommend?

You're still going to be near the bottom of the low light range, limiting yourself largely to crypts, ferns, anubias, etc. A better light system would increase your options, but it depends on your budget, etc.

I, obviously, don't know much about lighting. I tried reading the beginners guide to lighting in the sticky and got confused, lol. What should I be looking for in a light? Or can you point me to a site that has some basic information?

Back
Top Bottom