Can i have shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 gallon heavy planted tank stocked with 1 bolivan ram, 2 ottos, 2 ABP, I have blasting diamond sand for substrate! Would it be ok to have shrimp or will my fish eat them? I want rcs I think or orange! They are kind of expensive for a shrimp but I think I want to try them! I also have a hob filter I would like the baby's to survive if they can! And how to you keep them from getting sucked up in the python? I would love any suggestions thanks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What's an APB?

You will need a sponge over the intake of the baby shrimp could get sucked up.

Caleb

ABP= albino bristlenose pleco lol my friend gets confused whenever I say that

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

? sorry my spell check changed it and I didn't even realize it!

Otos are the only fish that are recommended as safe with shrimp. The ram would definitely make snacks out of shrimplets and probably adults as well.

Otos are the only fish that are recommended as safe with shrimp. The ram would definitely make snacks out of shrimplets and probably adults as well.

Agreed I heard that ABP are ok. I personally keep a Hillstream Loach, a YoYo Loach, and 6 Pygmy Cories with my colony of shrimp.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can put a net over the end of your Python. Use a zip tie/cable tie, or rubber band to hold it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a heavily planted 29 gallon with different stock and I tried to add Amano shrimp. I think I still have a couple but I hardly ever see them unless I look under the driftwood with a flashlight at night in the dark. I spent a bunch of money on them too and most of them were fish food within 24 hours. So from my own experience don't do it. I have a 10 gal heavily planted now with red cherries and orange eyed blue tigers. They are very active, the RCS breed like crazy and it a fun tank to watch. So my suggestion would be to have a separate tank for just the shrimp you want. Otherwise even if your fish don't eat them you might not see them very much.

I have a heavily planted 29 gallon with different stock and I tried to add Amano shrimp. I think I still have a couple but I hardly ever see them unless I look under the driftwood with a flashlight at night in the dark. I spent a bunch of money on them too and most of them were fish food within 24 hours. So from my own experience don't do it. I have a 10 gal heavily planted now with red cherries and orange eyed blue tigers. They are very active, the RCS breed like crazy and it a fun tank to watch. So my suggestion would be to have a separate tank for just the shrimp you want. Otherwise even if your fish don't eat them you might not see them very much.

Thank you! I have a seperate 10g I can put them in if I do decide to get rcs! I might just try a few ghost shrimp they are cheap! The only problem I had is when I got them at my lfs they had horsehair worms but I had them in the 10 g I was talking about and they all died not at once but one every other day! The water was fine! But I'm going to a different pet store they might have some that don't have big worms in them!

I have 5 Amanos with some platys and gold cloud minnows and they leave them alone, even my gourami left them alone too. I think a part of that might be due to the fact that Amanos are a great deal bigger than RCS, but it sounds like shrimp in general aren't safe with rams

I find that when there is fish in with my shrimp they tend to hide more

Sent from my D6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom