Can i plant mint in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joebt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some mint from the supermarket that has been growing in a glass mostly submerged for a week now. My tank is a 24 gallon Community tank.
Perhaps the tank might smell better or encourage spawning.

I don't think it would hurt the fish but I doubt it would actually grow or survive for long. I have seen it growing out of a HOB filter. There is an aquatic mint, Creeping Charlie I think it may be called.

Left submerged, it will probably die after while as it probably doesn't have the necessary biology to grow underwater. That being said, it can probably be grown emersed somehow....

I've seen some really nifty setups that had turned HOB filters in emersed setups. You might look into that. Here's a thread to look at.

Unfortunately/fortunately I do not have a HOB filter. I have a jbj nano cube 24dx. Would the mint work in the first stage of filtration?

I have it in my bog tank, but as stated is doesn't stay submerged and submerged leaves eventually turn yellow and die. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the actual set-up on the nano cubes, so can't help you with that part of it.

Back
Top Bottom