Can I remove the mid-aquarium brace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RDSnyder

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm setting up a new 65 gallon aquarium and just realized that the metal halide lamp installed in the hood will be located directly above the brace that runs across the center of the tank. Is this brace absolutely necessary? Can I remove it?

That brace is very important in supporting your tank and keeping it "together" from what I have heard. We even installed one on ours because it didn't have one. I dont recommend taking it off, unless you are willing to take the risks.

The center brace on a tank provides tortional support that keeps the tank from bowing out from water pressure. Do not remove the brace.

I agree do not remove. Your tank will not handle the force inside from the water.

What about rebracing it with glass strips?
then removing it ?

I agree with the rest. Is that light the one that came with your tank? I just bought a lighting systme, the MHs are in between the three braces.

I'd see if there were some other way to make the lights work than to compromise the integrity of the tank. Removing it will also void any warranty you may have if something happens, I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom