Can i use a marin light bulb in a fresh water tsnk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 light bulbs

First one I dont know the name but it's 7500K

The second one is Marin glo I don't know the K
It's on the blue side of the spectrum.
On the picture I circled a part of the tank, that's where the second light bulb is.
Underneath it is 5 amazon swords and the floating ones are Indian ferns.

image-1461867091.jpg

My question
Is the Marin glo doing any good to the amazon swords? (i know it's working on the Indian ferns there growing well)

25W
I looked at the light bulb it says 6% UVB outlet

Also it says "only for reptiles" so that's a little worrying.

Errrmmm... Sorry hang on I just found a second box and it's the Same size, and the box has pictures if reptiles on it. So I think the one in my tank is actuary a reptile light not a Marin light.

How big is your tank?

Generally you need around 5 watts per gallon for a high light planted aquarium.

I use this chart to help me compute lumens to watts:
Lumens vs Watts | LUMEN Coalition

Indian ferns may be low light, I am not sure.

I had terrible luck with the blue ones my tank completely algae up the one lfs I went to said that algae will grow like crazy in a freshwater tank with blue bulbs so I changed out to daylight 50000k T8 full spectrum bulbs it still grows I get different stories from pet shops the other guy says it wont grow at all under blue and will only grow under white sheese who knows??????

Greenphantom said:
I had terrible luck with the blue ones my tank completely algae up the one lfs I went to said that algae will grow like crazy in a freshwater tank with blue bulbs so I changed out to daylight 50000k T8 full spectrum bulbs it still grows I get different stories from pet shops the other guy says it wont grow at all under blue and will only grow under white sheese who knows??????

The funniest thing is they always ask me what I have first so as usual trying to make a buck

Okay Im going to take it out. Any recommendation on what I should get? The only plant the light hits is the amazon swords.

Well I use 2 shop lights with a total of 4 bulbs I have two T8 full spectrum daylight bulbs 50000 k and 2 T12 aquarium and garden bulbs from walmart on a 125 gallon breeder and I can grow plants well also the is not as bad as before but still having a small problem with it I am currently on day 2 of a 6 day black out

Back
Top Bottom