Can I use "sea salt" to dip a new plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ldavi133

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I just purchased a new plant from the LFS for my 29 gal freshwater. I want to make sure I get rid of any snails/snail eggs. I've read about letting the plant soak in salt water for 15-20 minutes. I don't have any kosher or aquarium salt, just iodized, and I also have this... "sea salt". I'm wondering if I can use this? Thanks. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475962707.945874.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Depends on the plant. I have done a 5 min soak and anubias did fine. Java fern melted back to the rhizome.

And it did not phase the eggs. They are covered in slime/gel sometimes the salt cannot get through.

I treated for bacterial infection at 3ppm potassium permanganate over several days and still have pond snails appearing. The eggs must be pretty tough.

I have found the only way to be 98% positive is to put the plant in a QT tank/large glass bowl for about 3 weeks. Any eggs would have hatched but the young are not old enough to lay eggs yet. Then if you put a bit of food in there the young snails will go to the food. Carefully inspect the plant. When they are young they can be hard to spot. You can also do a quick saltwater dip. This will get the snails to let go of the plant when they hit the salt water. Then do a fresh water dip and the plant should be good to go into your tank and probably snail free.

You just need to keep those puppies in the tank! Silly yoyo.

Lol - I know, young one today was back to doing laps and making a 4ft tank look small. Maybe chain or pygmy loaches would be better.

Also do a couple water changes of the plant in a small container, with Prime water conditioner. Have been hearing more stories of toxin residual on plants from being treated before being imported.

Just look on the leaves and under the leaves and stems to the root zone for eggs. Rub off any jelly egg masses.

Back
Top Bottom