can moneywort be a floating plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicafish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought a unknown plant from petsmart, I pretty sure its moneywort and I was wondering if it would be okay as a floating plant? It was looking pretty ruff at the petstore all the stems were a dark brown color, but since I put it into my tank its turned a bright green color!! I'm gonna take that as a good sign! If it has to be planted will it require any special things like ferts?

my plant brought some unwanted snail friends with it and I wondering if there is any way to get ride of them without harming my betta? I have taken out all the snails I have seen and I searched each plant for snails after I saw the first one so I don't think there are any more live ones but I'm sure there are a few eggs somewhere on the leaves... I have the snails I removed in a container of probably 3 or so gallons that I plan to keep just because I think they're cool but I don't want them over running my tanks so I suppose you could call it a snail only tank! maybe a few shrimp in the future and some substrate (I don't have any extra but I may get some soon) I also have some dead plant leaves and driftwood with the snails, is there anything else I need to add? The driftwood has algea on it so I figured It would be good for them to eat!

Yes you can float it just fine. If you don't want snails hitchhiking in on plants from now on make sure to put them in a container with 3/4 water and 1/4 peroxide or even 1/2 and 1/2. Let me soak for 20 minutes before adding to the tank. Don't rinse them after soaking either.

If they over run the tank, leave a slice of cucumber over night on the bottom and in the morning it will be loaded with snails, which then you can remove the cucumber along with the snails.

So far I haven't seen any new snails!! And I have another hitch hiker, Duckweed that's okay tho because I wanted to get some anyway!! there are only 2 small leaves but from what I've heard this plant can reproduce VERY fast!

If they over run the tank, leave a slice of cucumber over night on the bottom and in the morning it will be loaded with snails, which then you can remove the cucumber along with the snails.

Never heard this about cucumbers and snails. What's in the cucumber that attracts the snails?

Back
Top Bottom