Can PC lights be placed under a canopy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read a vendor's warning that said the Coralife PC lights light cannot be placed under the canopy or it voids the warrantee. Are these types of lights only for exposed tops? TIA.

I had mine under a canopy for 6 months with no issues at all. They do not generate too much heat but the manufacturer has to cover their *beep*. I would not worry about it, but at the start, just monitor the temp carefully.

tripper

Admin edit: Please refrain from attempting to circumvent the word filter.

Your refering to the coralife prebuilt hood unit? Or the coralife PC bulbs? If its their hood unit then yes I agree about the heat as they have designed their units to exhaust the heat that the bulbs generate and having them in an enclosed canopy can trap the hot air and cause the unit to overheat.

I left the back of my canopy open for that very reason, along with the MH getting even hotter. This will help out, plus a couple of fans to minimize heat.
As Tripper said, manufacturers have to put a disclaimer on there to protect themselves. I would to since it involves water and electricity. :)
Mike

Back
Top Bottom