Can somebody help me please?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishManSinceFive

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im using my 29 gallon tank to house my fish while i put plant substrate in my 55 i used one bag im saving money to get another 3-4 more bags then i will put my fish back but i need to know a few things

1 when does ammonia and nitrite levels build up when there is no gravel?

2 is my tank water cloudy because i have no gravel?

3 can i have plants already in the tank when i need to add at least 2-3 more bags of plant substrate?

4 how long does it take for a live plant to settle into substrate?

Last edited by a moderator:
The ammonia will always build up always. Water may be cloudy due to the uncycled tank. Im not sure about the plants though.

I put the same water that was originally in the 55 with the fish u think thats the problem?

For cheap substrate for planted tank get organic putting soil from a hardwqre store and cap it w an inch of gravel. That will beat any substrate made especially for aquarium imo. Make sure its organic though. Miracle grow even makes a organic fert mix. That dustin fish guy on YouTube has a good tutorial on it.

FishManSinceFive said:
I put the same water that was originally in the 55 with the fish u think thats the problem?

The question is, is the filter form the 55 on it? That is the number one thing that should have been moved with the fish. Do you have a test kit to find out the levels in the 29?

FishManSinceFive said:
I dont have a test kit but yea my filter is the 55g one its in the 29

Ok you may be going through a mini cycle and a bacteria bloom because of the lost BB (from the old substrate an move to 29). I suggest you get a liquid test kit (API Is the most widely recommended). It is a very important tool to have.

IMO since you don't know your levels you need to do a 50% PWC just in case. You will need to do PWC often until the BB have enough time to catch up with the bioload.

I put them back in 55g after cleaning and the substrate it was clear earlier now its cloudy HELP!!!!

FishManSinceFive said:
I put them back in 55g after cleaning and the substrate it was clear earlier now its cloudy HELP!!!!

So you moved all the fish and the filter back to the 55? It could be another bacteria bloom. You really need a test kit to check all your levels. Do another PWC to be on the safe side. You will most likely mini cycle again after the second move.

Back
Top Bottom