Can someone help me get fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover1601

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 7 fish and I want a lot/ plenty of fry in my tank and I don't know how to get a lot.. I think one of my fish is pregnant but I don't think she is due for another week or so... Please comment

Platys reproduce like crazy. Try getting one male and three females. Wait a month (tops) and you'll have fry.

I have 7 fish and I want a lot/ plenty of fry in my tank and I don't know how to get a lot.. I think one of my fish is pregnant but I don't think she is due for another week or so... Please comment

The way to get the most fry from the least amount of parents is to stick with older varieties of the livebearers. Large regular sailfin mollies are the closest thing to the wild green sailfins and should produce the largest number of fry. Red, red wag or green swords should out produce newer varieties like Micky mouse types. Feeder guppies, once they grow up, will out produce the fancy types. Always use larger female fish to better get higher numbers of fry per fish.

Hope this helps (y)

The way to get the most fry from the least amount of parents is to stick with older varieties of the livebearers. Large regular sailfin mollies are the closest thing to the wild green sailfins and should produce the largest number of fry. Red, red wag or green swords should out produce newer varieties like Micky mouse types. Feeder guppies, once they grow up, will out produce the fancy types. Always use larger female fish to better get higher numbers of fry per fish.

Hope this helps (y)

Okay thanks

How do I tell when I am at the store if they are male or female?

#1- Ask the sales clerk. If they don't know how to sex them, I'd seriously consider not shopping there as they probably also don't know the proper way to maintain fish either. (Sexing livebearers is about the easiest thing a salesperson should know.)

#2- Females have a somewhat triangular anal fin while a males' anal fin rolls up to become the gonipodium for transmission of his sperm.

(If you are still unsure what to look for, look at a pair of swordtails. Male swordtail have both a sword and gonipodium. Females will not have a sword so it will be easy to compare fins. The same comparison applies to all livebearer's anal fins, swordtails have the extra piece (the sword) which just adds to the help. (y)

Back
Top Bottom