Can someone ID my plecostomus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infamouz88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought this plecostomus and they told us that it was a rubber lip pleco. It was in the albino tank and when we asked why wasn't he white the associate couldn't answer us. We bought it and supposedly it grew to 4 inches. Thus far it hasn't grown much and it's in about 2 inches. So help please with name and specs lol....

ForumRunner_20120918_104840.jpg

ForumRunner_20120918_104907.jpg

ForumRunner_20120918_104929.jpg

Can't see very well, but looks like a female bristlenose pleco. I have two, mine are fairly small too

Had these on my wife's phone. We love his/her coloration. Also the eyes are flush with its face and doesn't stick out like others, looks very stealthy.

ForumRunner_20120918_112000.jpg

ForumRunner_20120918_111914.jpg

ForumRunner_20120918_112056.jpg

ForumRunner_20120918_111833.jpg

ForumRunner_20120918_111914.jpg

Infamouz88 said:
Had these on my wife's phone. We love his/her coloration. Also the eyes are flush with its face and doesn't stick out like others, looks very stealthy.

Great lookin Pleco! Looks healthy as a horse! Did you get it at a chain store? Nice pick up :) pretty positive it's a bn... I have both varieties, brown and albino :D mine are still juvies and haven't gotten they're bristles. As stated above females don't really get bristles :) might just still be a youngin tho too!

AndrewsPistol said:
Great lookin Pleco! Looks healthy as a horse! Did you get it at a chain store? Nice pick up :) pretty positive it's a bn... I have both varieties, brown and albino :D mine are still juvies and haven't gotten they're bristles. As stated above females don't really get bristles :) might just still be a youngin tho too!

Thanks, I really love my pleco.. I bought it in petsmart and when I asked if they had any more at a later day they weren't able to ID it and they said it could of been a special order. I want to get another but how big do they get? And you said you got a brown one, mine looks black, are they other colors?

Infamouz88 said:
Thanks, I really love my pleco.. I bought it in petsmart and when I asked if they had any more at a later day they weren't able to ID it and they said it could of been a special order. I want to get another but how big do they get? And you said you got a brown one, mine looks black, are they other colors?

Mine is almost black too, but since it isn't quite black I call it brown lol. I think I was told 4-6 inches. There are albino, I can see if mine is out I'll try to snap a pic of it. The albino ones are way cool! I get mine from a breeder here on AA :)

Well I really tried hard to get a pic for ya, but i couldnt get one,I even moved my scape around! At 2 inches it's real good at hiding since its housed with my Africans. This is a pic from google :)

Attachments

• image-865443963.jpg
    image-865443963.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 62
AndrewsPistol said:
Mine is almost black too, but since it isn't quite black I call it brown lol. I think I was told 4-6 inches. There are albino, I can see if mine is out I'll try to snap a pic of it. The albino ones are way cool! I get mine from a breeder here on AA :)

I get you, I don't think I'll be able to get another one since I have a 20 gallon tank. And as for the local breeder where are you guys located?

AndrewsPistol said:
Well I really tried hard to get a pic for ya, but i couldnt get one,I even moved my scape around! At 2 inches it's real good at hiding since its housed with my Africans. This is a pic from google :)

Oh it's ok, I understand how hard it is, mine hides a lot but when it's out it roams like crazy. So if it doesn't get the bristles its a girl? Have you been able to breed any of your BN plecos?

Infamouz88 said:
I get you, I don't think I'll be able to get another one since I have a 20 gallon tank. And as for the local breeder where are you guys located?

Oh not local :) idk where he lives, I just pm him on here :) his prices are great! I got 3 for $12 and like $6 for shipping.

Infamouz88 said:
Oh it's ok, I understand how hard it is, mine hides a lot but when it's out it roams like crazy. So if it doesn't get the bristles its a girl? Have you been able to breed any of your BN plecos?

Yep, females have little to none. Mine are in seperate tanks but I know someone who is trying!

AndrewsPistol said:
Oh not local :) idk where he lives, I just pm him on here :) his prices are great! I got 3 for $12 and like $6 for shipping.

That's not bad I bought mine for like 7 so that's a good buy. Pm me his info if you don't mind sharing the hook up lol.

AndrewsPistol said:
Yep, females have little to none. Mine are in seperate tanks but I know someone who is trying!

I don't know if it would weird me out seeing mine with those bristles lol... Maybe I'll get use to it

Infamouz88 said:
I don't know if it would weird me out seeing mine with those bristles lol... Maybe I'll get use to it

I totally understand lol!!! Mine r cute without em haha! It will def be a shock :)

AndrewsPistol said:
I totally understand lol!!! Mine r cute without em haha! It will def be a shock :)

Only time will tell. But thanks for the help I don't have to be scratching my head lol.

Back
Top Bottom