Can someone ID this for me? big problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimaT

Aquarium Advice Activist
what is this and how do i get rid of it? tube worm looking things took over my live rock and even grow on corals.. :banghead:
I am assuming this is bad since i found them growing on my torch corals and them not opening up.

If someone knows the name it would be VERY helpful.. i need to do research. :thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_5552.jpg
    IMG_5552.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_5553.jpg
    IMG_5553.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_5554.jpg
    IMG_5554.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 192
It looks like you have 2 things there-Some sort of tube worm, maybe spionid worms, which are basically harmless, and some kind of slime, perhaps cyanobacteria and/or dinoflagellates.

They are vermatid snails. They can be a nuisance only because they will grow everywhere and shoot out a snot trail, that they use to catch food, and it can make a mess of your tank. Some mind em, some don't. To get rid of them you have to take pliers and break them off as close to the base as possible. If not, they'll just grow back. It's probably something you will have to keep up with from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are vermatid snails. They can be a nuisance only because they will grow everywhere and shoot out a snot trail, that they use to catch food, and it can make a mess of your tank. Some mind em, some don't. To get rid of them you have to take pliers and break them off as close to the base as possible. If not, they'll just grow back. It's probably something you will have to keep up with from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks so much. it seems like this is exactly that.. i will do my research and see what i can do! again big thanks! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom