Can t5 lighting overheat??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANGAR

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a custom canopy I wanna install quad 24" t5 HOs in. The space was tight, don't want to over heat them since they are brand new. Let me know? Has anyone ever had this problem???

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think I have these or LEDs overheat, although they do get quite hot. I've given up and taken the hood off. I did look at a separate fan to suck air out of the hood or cutting the centre out of the hood but too much work in the end.

The hotter they get the shorter the bulb lifespan will be.

They will potentially overheat to the point that they can catch on fire, but this is a rarity. Ive only ever heard of old odyssea fixtures doing this.

Wow - they must of been cooking!

Good point on bulb life. With the hood on I noticed the LEDs were almost too hot to touch (could put hand on but not leave it there). Couldn't have been doing the hood or the LEDs much good.

So I'm thinking of mounting the lights about and inch from the top of the canopy and an inch from the glass (that's all the room I have to work with) and then drilling like two exhaust holes (1.5 inch in diameter) in the back of the canopy, near the ends of the fixture for the heat to escape from. Will this be enough???
Also their will be another large hole for the wiring of the lights to exit

Lights will be mounted using small metal L brackets.

So I'm thinking of mounting the lights about and inch from the top of the canopy and an inch from the glass (that's all the room I have to work with) and then drilling like two exhaust holes (1.5 inch in diameter) in the back of the canopy, near the ends of the fixture for the heat to escape from. Will this be enough???
Also their will be another large hole for the wiring of the lights to exit

Lights will be mounted using small metal L brackets.

Can you do a dry run?

My LED lights have computer-type fans and still got hot.

OP - As suggested, you can mount muffin fans on top of the exhaust holes to vent the heat. Is there a way for cool air to enter the canopy?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439253541.744689.jpg

So this is the current lamp, turned upside down, for viewing purposes. The red line is where the cord and button hole will be drilled, other two holes are for the exhaust holes, will this be enough, or is a fan necessary? How mush do these fans cost by chance?
Not too thrilled about that idea for the fan

I have a computer fan on my canopy .
it came from radio shack and can be operated on the same timer as my lights.
It was like $15 when I got it.
Azoo and aquatek both make cooling fans for the tank that would still move air in the canopy IMO.

Back
Top Bottom