Can these fish get along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wondering if these fish can get along, and any info you have will really be appreciated, thanks:)
Neon tetras
Black kuhli loaches
African dwarf frogs
Otocinclus catfish
Ghost shrimp

I'm wondering if these fish can get along, and any info you have will really be appreciated, thanks:)
Neon tetras
Black kuhli loaches
African dwarf frogs
Otocinclus catfish
Ghost shrimp

They will all get along perfect. The neons and otos are small fish but both need about 20+ gallon tanks. The neons need a school and are very active fish. The otos need the larger and a little older tank because they feed mostly off of the biofilm that isn't found in new tanks and not quite enough of it in smaller tanks. The loaches need 3+ preferably about 4-5, and the ADFs do best when target fed. Ghost shrimp are pretty easy, but are difficult to breed. That's all the info I can offer because that's as much research as I remember. I've kept all of these except the frogs

They will all get along perfect. The neons and otos are small fish but both need about 20+ gallon tanks. The neons need a school and are very active fish. The otos need the larger and a little older tank because they feed mostly off of the biofilm that isn't found in new tanks and not quite enough of it in smaller tanks. The loaches need 3+ preferably about 4-5, and the ADFs do best when target fed. Ghost shrimp are pretty easy, but are difficult to breed. That's all the info I can offer because that's as much research as I remember. I've kept all of these except the frogs

So, if I keep 4-5 neon tetras, 3 kuhli loaches, 2-3 ADF, 2 otos, and 6 ghost shrimp won't do well in a 10 gallon?

So, if I keep 4-5 neon tetras, 3 kuhli loaches, 2-3 ADF, 2 otos, and 6 ghost shrimp won't do well in a 10 gallon?

I wouldn't, but its your tank. In a 10 the frogs and shrimp should be fine, and really the loaches may be able to be in the ten but I tried keeping 3 kuhlis in a ten once and they're just ridiculously active and after a week or so I put them in my 55g. Also, remember that extra filtration doesn't make the tank any bigger and really doesn't allow you to really overstock. It will however keep the water mechanically cleaner and allows more space for BB but you still have the nitrate and other issues. There are many fish well suited for a tank like yours, but the ones you selected might not be the best choice

Almost any fish can get along if introduced properly believe it or not I used to have a comet fish and a tiger oscar I kept together for close to a year I currently have a opaline gourami and a albino angelfish with no problems

I wouldn't, but its your tank. In a 10 the frogs and shrimp should be fine, and really the loaches may be able to be in the ten but I tried keeping 3 kuhlis in a ten once and they're just ridiculously active and after a week or so I put them in my 55g. Also, remember that extra filtration doesn't make the tank any bigger and really doesn't allow you to really overstock. It will however keep the water mechanically cleaner and allows more space for BB but you still have the nitrate and other issues. There are many fish well suited for a tank like yours, but the ones you selected might not be the best choice

Ok, so shrimp, frogs, and loaches yes, what fish can I substitute for the tetras and ottos that I can get at petsmart? Will guppies work?

Almost any fish can get along if introduced properly believe it or not I used to have a comet fish and a tiger oscar I kept together for close to a year I currently have a opaline gourami and a albino angelfish with no problems

Ok, cool, now I'm wondering about a 10 gallon, if it's the right size for,them

Ok, cool, now I'm wondering about a 10 gallon, if it's the right size for,them

Naw man go bigger then that for that much stock look and ask around for used aquariums I got my 55 for $25 from a neighbor is go with a 30 gal at least you can usually find aquariums with everything but fish and water in Craigslist for reasonable prices but sometimes you find people that want way too much for them however if you know what your looking for you can come out in top.

if you are gonna get a bigger tank then I would up the tetra school to 8-10 or how every many you can have and or want also you could get a dwarf gourami!

Hell I say that but when I first got into it I had a 20 long with 2 opaline gouramis 2 paradise flames 2 kribensis cichlids and a danio though I was running 60 gallons worth of filtration.

Guppies would work. ADFs are social and should have at least 2..they can eat small fish but usually never do. Loaches need at least 3. ADFs can do in a 10 gal. I would recommend only 2 in a 10gallon with maybe some guppies. ADFs tend to stay on the bottom so the bottom might be pretty full with adding loaches.

I would recommend 2 ADFs and maybe 4 guppies..that would be about it. That in itself is pretty stocked for 10 gallons. Do you really want ADFs or?

Unfortunately, I am not being allowed to get a bigger tank, I know that the 3 loaches, 3 frogs, and 4 shrimp are good, I just need an actual fish like the tetras that fit that tank well, any suggestions, how about guppies?

So 5 guppies, 4 shrimp, 3 ADF, and 3 loaches wouldn't work?

I think that is too much, but yeah.. ADFs have somewhat large bioloads. Having 2 10 gallon filters doesn't mean much. Those loaches don't have much but they can get some.length to them. I would suggest 2 ADFs, 4 shrimp OR 2-3 loaches and 4-5 guppies.

So can I put 4 guppies, and 2 frogs and3 loaches?

no that is still over stocked what you can have are

4 shrimp + 2 ADFs

OR

3 loaches + 5 guppies

are you set on having loaches because if you don't get them that would open a couple more possibilities like

8 tetras+ 10 RCS

OR

4-5 female bettas+2-3 snails

no that is still over stocked what you can have are

4 shrimp + 2 ADFs

OR

3 loaches + 5 guppies

are you set on having loaches because if you don't get them that would open a couple more possibilities like

8 tetras+ 10 RCS

OR

4-5 female bettas+2-3 snails

I agree.. I was just suggesting you max, even you would be over.. So thank you..thought I was alone lol.

Back
Top Bottom